North of Cuenca


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
November 15th 2006
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, we've headed north, and have arrived in Banos, Ecuador, where we've been staying for the last three nights. I will be able to write more later. Take care, everyone. Love, all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The CajasThe Cajas
The Cajas

Here is the view of a small lake, near the bunkhouse that we stayed in while hiking through the Cajas National Park.
The CajasThe Cajas
The Cajas

Un otro foto de las cajas.
The CajasThe Cajas
The Cajas

Un otro foto de las cajas tambien.
The CajasThe Cajas
The Cajas

On one of our hikes, we had to climb through a forest. The trees, called 'paper trees', have peeling, paper-like bark, some of which are a thousand years old. They are beautiful.
The CajasThe Cajas
The Cajas

One of the numerous scratchy prickly plants (cacti?) found all over the grassy ground at the Cajas. This one is a particularly big buggar.
The CajasThe Cajas
The Cajas

Close-up of one of the paper trees, or Quinuas.
RiobambaRiobamba
Riobamba

We went on a train ride (well, you sit on the top of the train, with hundreds of other gringos, and get to peacefully watch the Ecuadorian countryside roll by)in Riobamba. I met this woman at one of the stops we made to take on more passengers a few hours into the ride.
RiobambaRiobamba
Riobamba

A truck filled with kids racing with the train as we passed through a small, country town. Across the street, school children come racing out of their classrooms and scream, hoping that the train passengers will throw candy to them.
RiobambaRiobamba
Riobamba

Ecuador's rolling countryside.
BanosBanos
Banos

Whilst in Banos, we took a bike ride north through the Andes on a road that passes a number of Ecuador's most popular waterfalls. Here we are on a rickety bridge (that is only supposed to have 5 people on it at a time because it's wicked old) next to the biggest waterfall in Ecuador.
BanosBanos
Banos

The waterfall.
BanosBanos
Banos

One of the views from our bike ride.
BanosBanos
Banos

We took a walk above Banos, through the Cloud Forest, an entrance to Ecuador's jungle. Here are some pictures of the critters and wildlife we saw. This is a frighteningly big spider we found, just chilling in his web. And, yes, I did in fact have to get my camera pretty dang close to get this picture. He was not a little guy.
BanosBanos
Banos

Fuzzy, lemon-yellow catepillar guy just crawling along the road. He had an orange belly. And little black feet.
BanosBanos
Banos

Pretty orange and red flowers.
BanosBanos
Banos

Funky tree with little clusters of spikes sticking out all over it.
BanosBanos
Banos

Here is a bee sucking the pollen off of a hallucinogenic (for humans; maybe not for bees...) flower.
BanosBanos
Banos

Striped red and yellow flower.
BanosBanos
Banos

Mas.
BanosBanos
Banos

Mas.
BanosBanos
Banos

Mas.
BanosBanos
Banos

Mas.
BanosBanos
Banos

And, here is Josh's sunburn, which he received during our hike.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb