From mountain tops to sea floors in Taganga.


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Taganga
January 16th 2010
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Taganga is located on the coast about 4 hours east of Cartagena, it was once a small fishing village now it's home to countless scuba dive shops only outnumbered by backpackers, most of whom seem to be from Australia. The town still remains mostly undeveloped, trying hard to hold onto that small town atmosphere, so far this has been our favorite town.

Immediatly upon arriving, before even finding a room for the night, we booked a 2 tank dive in the afternoon with Aquantis dive center. The diving here is some of the best in Colombia and some of cheapest in the world. Most of the divers we met here were getting their certification, other than the instructors and dive masters, we were the most experienced divers on the boat (that's not saying much..lol).

We spent the evening swapping travel stories with Jimmy the bartender a commercial shipping medic/cook) and a group of friendly Aussies. The next day we trecked over a mountain to a more secluded although still busy beach that is only accesible by boat or mountain path. Around 5 o'clock we joined the long line of sun baked Colombians heading back over the mountain to Taganga.
Hostal Bayview.Hostal Bayview.Hostal Bayview.

Our hostel.


Waking up the next day, Neil discovered that the book he'd been reading the day before on the beach was missing, so we repeated the arduous trip back over the mountain only to return empty handed. Upon arriving back in our room, much to our surprise we found the missing book safely stowed away in the backpack (my bad!!). Neil booked another dive that day, Laura decided not to accompany him as she had caught a bit of a head cold. Fortunatly, Neil was kept company by 4 young, attractive Australian female dive students.

The next day we decided to visit a tiny town up in the Sierra Nevada mountains called Minca, this small town is know for it's coffee plantations, waterfalls, cooler climate (not by much) and it's over 300 species of birds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th January 2010

love the sunglasses and your hat Laura. mum

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb