Riohacha, Colombia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Riohacha
August 6th 2011
Published: September 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Castillo de MarCastillo de MarCastillo de Mar

Our castle on the sea hostel!
Riohacha, Colombia

We caught the bus to Riohacha on the side of the road. The bus was a nice air-conditioned ride. The landscaped gradually changed from lush tropical rainforest to barren grasslands. Riohacha is the capital of Colombia's La Guajira province... it is a semi desert landscape and has a small population. Riohacha is nothing much really, just a gateway to the more remote and stunning areas of the province.

We arrived and checked into "El Castillio de Mar", literally, the castle by the sea. And it was actually such, but by appearance only. It was also surrounded by chain link fence, which was surprising as Riohacha appears quite safe!

We had dinner, bought some supplies for the upcoming adventure to the top of the continent, and have a few beers while we wait to hear about the next leg of the trip. Boy, did we luck out. The man who was got in touch with is actually the man who first started adventures to the most northern point (Punta Gallinas). He set us up with a driver to leave the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View from the hostelView from the hostel
View from the hostel

Through the barbed wire at Castillio del Mar hostel
Cathedral de Nuestra Senora de los RemediosCathedral de Nuestra Senora de los Remedios
Cathedral de Nuestra Senora de los Remedios

(I believe this is its name... correct me if I am wrong!)


Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 117; dbt: 0.1188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb