Come to Colombia!


Advertisement
South America » Colombia » Pasto
July 29th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Colombia was one big surprise. After hearing all the terrible, horrifying stories about Colombia from the Venezuelans and Brazilians, we prepared ourselves to drive through Colombia in as little time as possible. We were pretty excited to leave Venezuela and Chavez behind, but were also worried about what would happen to us in this country that has such a bad name, and which is so full of crimina... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Oro!Oro!
Oro!

No-one would even notice if just one of these simple pieces was to be stolen, but it could probably easily allow us to keep travelling one more year!
Taxi!Taxi!
Taxi!

It was funny at first, but after a while it got irritating that people kept trying to stop us, thinking that we were one these Colombian mountain taxis!
Unspoilt ColombiaUnspoilt Colombia
Unspoilt Colombia

Another paradise on the Earth - Taronga, where there are still no hotels or other infrustructure yet, making us realize how happy we are visiting these places now and not in 10 years time. You have only two options, camp or sleep in hammocks outside in the fresh ocean air.
San AugustinSan Augustin
San Augustin

There mystical burial statues belonged to a civilization that existed in this area around 2000BC. Noone knows who they where, what they looked like, which gods they prayed to or why they disappeared, but the statues look like something from another planet.
Crack Smuggling Teddy BearCrack Smuggling Teddy Bear
Crack Smuggling Teddy Bear

One of the numerous military stops. This time we met them on the 6-hour dirt road to San Augustin where we were already frustrated having to move at about 20km/hour, but they insisted to search our bags. They were probably just looking for some conversation because they are a bit bored these days (no guerillas around). Was quite a laugh, though, when they found Teddy in Liba´s bag and started passing him around suspiciously and sniffing him for cocaine. We think there was even talk of cutting him open at one stage!



9th September 2007

hey Tom, I finally understand why you call it Life is Beautiful. Not because it's smooth and easy and comfy but throughout all the nice-to-weird experiences you have put in your effort and let your eyes opened to new horizons (including the cocaine business). Geez I'm in a philosophical mood tonight.
16th September 2007

Great blogging guys, a real eye opener. The coke lab was a classic.. and must really suck to have your folks name you hoover! Take care, Aj

Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb