Colombia II - Cartagena and the Caribbean Coast


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
July 17th 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday 2nd July we left beloved Bogota and went on to the Caribbean Coast. After a 24hrs busride we arrived in the charming old town of Cartagena de Indias.

The historic city, that has also been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is one of Columbias biggest cities and comes up with a really nice carribean flair. The old city is surrounded by thick walls and comprises numerous colorful old buildings of colonial and other old architecture. Acutally the narrow streets with the horse cartridges driving around reminded me a little bit of my hometown Vienna...(but mainly only due to the horse cartridges 😊 The area around the old town, where we actually lived, also comes up with some nice lively narrow streets and nicely painted houses and rather run-down buildings as well which create a nice flair on its own. People are generally very nice there and most of the life happens on the street.

Cartagena is doubtlessly one of the few rather touristic spots in Colombia - reasonably not only due to its nice and lively flair in the city center but as well due to its proximity to the Islands of Rosario - only a few kilometres off the shore this nice group of beautiful islands is just too inviting for relaxing in typical carribean landscapes.

So we spent the weekend in Cartagena and around until Tuesday 7th July when I jumped on a boat that would bring me away from beloved Columbia, beloved Southamerica... que triste!!... However, the boat at least goes to Central America... 😊

Greets from Colombia!!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb