Bogota. Part 2 bike trips.


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
January 6th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Bogota Bike Tours is run by Mike. a journalist from California. Having spent most of his life reporting from every country in a South America for newspapers , he lost out to the power of the internet. Needing something to do he combined his vast wealth of knowledge and two wheels to start his company.

We set off around the city to explore areas where normally you'd fear to tread.

Mike gave us background to to Colombian Conflict, and took the street where the peoples hero Gaitan was assassinated in 1948. His murder was the turning point for Colombia, riots on the streets, and political disenfranchisement of the far left and right, the ramifications of which are still being felt today. Other assassination places of politicians, comedians and those who did not conform or were thought sympathisers.

Mike took us to many areas of the city. The poor districts, the red light districts, the 'St Johns wood' district, built by the British.

What I learnt is that Colombia is becoming a modern a progressive country, trying to free itself from the past. Prostitution is legal and tolerance zones have been created. Colombia recognises gay rights, marriage etc
Church of San FransiscoChurch of San FransiscoChurch of San Fransisco

Oldest church in Bogota. It was near this Chiricahua that Gaitan was assassinated.
which for a very Christian country is a positive step of all inclusion.

Street art is massive and recognised. Unions and the state can sponsor artists to painted murals. South American 'Banksys' also flourish here and there artwork is very thought provoking.
Sure, there are still many problems. Poverty in the outlying districts, crime, drugs but Bogota today is no more dangerous than any other city.

We all finished the tour drinking beer and playing Tajo, a game where a 2kg weight is thrown to a clay board with envelopes of gunpowder placed strategically in the clay. Create a small 'bang' for more points.

It's my last day in Bogota so one last hoorah at the Bogota Beer Company and then across the road to a typical Colombian bar. Tomorrow I fly to Medellin. Once the most dangerous city in the world but I travel with confidence having witnessed the change that is Bogota.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Street artStreet art
Street art

Is everywhere in Bogota
At John's Wood At John's Wood
At John's Wood

Built by the British who worked for an oil company. Modelled on their home on London
ParkPark
Park

Near St Johns Wood area. One of the only places not built upon
Replica statue Replica statue
Replica statue

From those found in Sam Augustine, Colombia
Street rappersStreet rappers
Street rappers

Three youths trying the make there way through music and rap. Not bad
Around the cityAround the city
Around the city

Near the red light tolerance zone
Tajo pitTajo pit
Tajo pit

Throw weights and make explosions


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb