Stop 31: Bogota (The City of 2 Visits)


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
December 20th 2010
Published: December 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chocolate SantafereñoChocolate SantafereñoChocolate Santafereño

Chocolate and cheese. You melt the cheese in the chocolate.
We first arrived in the Columbian capital of Bogota on the 7th, the evening of the festival of lights. It was lovely to see families out lighting candles and seeing in the evening in the decorated streets. However, this event also meant that finding a taxi was a near impossible task and we spent an hour in a queue after our already delayed arrival. Not the best start. 

We planned to spend the next 2 days seeing the city and to return only fleetingly in a few weeks to catch our flight home. 

This went mostly to plan. We spent the next morning wandering around the Candelaria, the beautiful historic centre of the city. It was a bank holiday so the streets were full with the hub and bub of people. Unfortunately this also meant that most things were closed but that was ok, we'd be back in a few weeks.

With little open we opted for a nice looking restaurant and ordered punto de anca (Columbia's favour cut of beef). Unfortunately our food was more than a little overdone and Ellie was less than impressed (well she was introduced to steak eating in Argentina, and is now rather hard to please!)

Our first journey out of the city was as smooth as our entry! We were given instructions to go to the wrong bus terminal! A short while and an expensive cab ride later this was put right and we were on our way to Villa de Leyva but we weren't impressed!

Our second arrival in the city went smoothly and we were keen to do some of the things we missed out on last time. However, as it was this time a sunday many of the shops and restaurants where once again closed. Oops! This didn't matter to us though, we enjoyed a nice relaxing final day.

We are currently waiting for our flight this evening. Blighty here we come (well we'll make it to madrid at least, and hopefully England, snow permitting).

Photos to follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Steve eating Chocolate SantafereñoSteve eating Chocolate Santafereño
Steve eating Chocolate Santafereño

Goes together like cheese and chocolate..


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb