Puerto Montt, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
December 17th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -41.4752, -72.9521

We started the day with an early alarm and room service breakfast before our shore excursion. The ship was anchored again so we left the room to get in line for the tender shortly before 8:00. The tender ride was okay—not as smooth as yesterday, but okay. By the time we got to the port, we were led to bus two for the Puerto Montt, Puerto Varas, and Frutillar tour. Four people had not made the tender with our group so we had to wait another forty minutes while the tender made another trip back and forth. They seem to have only one tender launched in each of the last ports. The tour took us to the Puerto Montt town square and the handicraft market first. Usually tours end with the shopping stop, but not today. We did a little shopping, looked for the post office but didn't find it where the guide said it was, and walked toward Lake Llanquihue to enjoy the view of the lake and of the inactive Osorno volcano. The guide said that it is a perfect volcano "like the Fuji." It is beautiful, covered with snow and seeming to float above the lake.

The
tour then went to Puerto Varas, the city of roses, for a drive through town. Next, we went on to Frutillar to see the city that was settled mostly by Germans in the mid nineteenth century visiting the Museo Colonial Aleman de Frutillar. It is an outdoor museum built to recreate the village as it was at the time of colonization. We got back on the bus for a short drive to Club Aleman, a German restaurant, for a hearty snack of local favorites—food, wine and beer.

Returning to the ship, we were in time for lunch in the Colonnade, then spent the afternoon relaxing in our suite. Tonight was the Captain's gala farewell in the Grand Salon before dinner. Along with the usual good-byes and thank-yous from key staff members, we screened the video made during this cruise by Aliscia and Richard. It is just beautiful. I have taken so many similar photos to theirs, but theirs look 100 times better. Dinner was cavier, foie gras, and a dish called Lobster, Lobster, Lobster. Excellent dinner! Afterwards, I went to the show to see both the pop singer and comedian on board, but Phil skipped it.

Tomorrow is our last day
on the cruise, a sea day. We'll need to pack and get ready to go home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb