The End of the World


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
February 5th 2013
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -53.1479, -70.9303

Punta Arenas was a place we took a bus to in order to then take two flights the 4,000kms to the far north of Chile.

As we drove down the road we saw it was called 'The Road to the End of The World'.

Punta Arenas being our most southerly point of the trip it gets a little entry (this) with a few pics. First one shows the departure board at Punta Arenas airport - check out the third entry.

We were checked in early and had time for a quick dash into town, and the second picture is Liz standing outside Castillo Millward, Shackleton stayed there and it wads the inspiration for Chatwin's 'In Patagonia' - Millward was an ancestor of Chatwin's.

Third picture is an overview of Punta Arenas, that sea is the Magellan Strait and the land on the other side is Tierra del Fuego. The one thing you can't see is the howling wind that almost blew us over - the locals are used to it.

As we flew north we were treated to the most awe inspiring view of glaciers down below, and pic 4 is one of those.

Now in Arica, preparing for our ascent to La Paz tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb