Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
December 31st 2008
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I got some questions about the electricity and so on. Well, the power going out was just a freak thing. We had a very windy afternoon so we think that the wind must have blown down a pole or something like that. The weather is awsome. It will be into the mid 80s to 90s during the day and cool down to the 60s at night. No one has central air so it is a good thing that we have cool nights.

the cabin is somewhat small, but very comfortable with a pool. It has a small living room and kitchen with a large bedroom upstairs. The land is dry and arid with a constant wind blowing from the east. The area has some problems with fires like those in California.

Most of the cars are compact and get excellent milage which is good with the price of gas at what we saw in the states a few months ago. The houses and apartments do not have the space that we are fond of in Mississippi, but they are still comfortable.

Today was our first morning to wake in Valparaiso which is a port city about an hour northeast of Santiago. We are staying with Marcela's Uncle Danilo. He has a very nice apartment for the district. Valparaiso is somewhat poorer than Santiago. There are stark differences from one neighborhood to the next. One street my be really poor with run down houses and apartments and the next will have colorful and larger homes. The neighborhoods are build up the step hills that surround the port and can be quit a hike if you are walking. There are many winding streets, allys, and staircases among the houses that hug close to one another; some that seem to balance on the side of the hills as though the slightest movement would send them down the hill. Ammong the houses and neighborhoods there are small stores at every corner selling cheese, meat, fruit, candy, etc. There are small plazas here and there that will have a paper stand, store, and wine mart. (I forgot to mention that they have a very bad dog problem in Valparaiso meaning that there are hundreds and hundreds of stray dogs roaming the streets, they are not mean just a nuisence)

If you leave the nieghborhoods and head down the hills towards the downtown area you will find everything you need from large grocery stores, gas stations, bars, restraunts, banks and other businesses. The old town has a lot of British influence in the architecture.

Today, we took a short walk around the neighborhood and down the hill. We came back to clean the apartment and prepare food and snackes for the New Year celebration. We had pinapple, cherries, vinger vegtables, almonds, finger sandwiches, and devil eggs that I made for some Mississippi flare. We also grilled steak and suasage.

Once all of the family arrived we head up higher to watch the fireworks so we could see the entire bay. From our pirch we saw the 2nd largest fireworks display in the world!!!! On the drive back to the aparment we were yelling Feliz Ano Neuevo and Maroon/White fight fight.....

Back at the apartment we danced until 4 in the morning cleaned and went to bed. Wow... Happy New Year!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb