Chile - Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
December 8th 2005
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The plane flight from Buenos Aires had as flying across the Andes, the 2nd highest mountain range in the world, which looked pretty spectacular from the air. I had orginally planned for a few more days in Chile than I ended up having. So I basically just stayed in Santiago. In an area called Barrio Bellavista, which is a pretty trendy area of Santiago and it was a trendy hostel, with like-minded staff.

During my time there it was time for the presidential election, along way since the rule of dictator, Augusto Pinochet. I spent my time walking around the city, via the furnicular and a walk up the Parque Metropolitano for some great views of the city, and some other great views were had at Cerro Santa Lucia, with its narrow and diagonal tracks, I really liked that park and spent plenty of time there.

Before heading off into the main city hub and checking out some market stalls and shops off the beaten track. The main plaza, Plaza de Armas was buzzing a bit with many stalls of artistes and the like, all while listening to the Christmas Carols being sung about town.

I would have
Neptune's FountainNeptune's FountainNeptune's Fountain

In Cerro Santa Lucia
liked to have made my way to Valparaiso and down to the southern tip thats the closest point to Antarctica, however it wasn't to be and it was a rather relaxing time in Santiago, although it seemed rather dirty.

Trying to leave the City proved a little harder than first thought. Our plane was supposed to leave at 11:00pm however after constant delays we were sent to some hotels for the night (4 star = bliss), although there was confusion as some airport staff believed we should be checked through customs once more, which would require another US$30 to be paid to enter the country, creating much angst amongst the passengers. Eventually getting to bed at 4:00am.

Up early to get the flight to Auckland, many passengers were Australians and had obviously missed their connection from Auckland = more trouble! Eventually we were off, after this delay of 14 hours to Australasia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Caos in the ariportCaos in the ariport
Caos in the ariport

disgruntled passengers re-entering customs
4 star hotel4 star hotel
4 star hotel

for the mix-up. I am not sure what I am doing.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb