welcome to the beach


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola from crazy hot Chile,

My flights were...ok, the day really started off interesting when i was ´randomly´ chosen for a security check at security in calgary. but after that everything was fine, i made all my connections and it all went as smoothly as can be expected. the flight from miami (which is the smelliest airport with all the random people and humidity - 20 degrees at 8pm crazy!!) to santiago was really long but the airline was amazing, i got to watch 2 movies, listen to music, watch TV and play video games all night...plus there were 2 meals and complimentary booze, which led me and the chilean guy beside me to drink scotch at 2am and watch cartoons.



so when i got here at 7 in the morning yesterday i was a little paranoid that i wouldnt find my cab, but everything worked out and i made it to vina del mar at around 10. the drive between santiago and vina is very nice, it changes from almost desert-like to ocean within 1.30 minutes...kinda like driving from the okanagan straight into victoria but with better wine. ps, as i am sitting in this little internet cafe it turns out that they do passport photos, which i need to get...que buena dia.



after i got into vina, my homestay i went for a walk along the beach which are completely empty until around 2 when they become tourist crazy-semi naked fantastic sights to behold. we also took a break in the afternoon from eating to go to the neighboring city which i go to school in to see the sights and find out how to take the bus. the family i am staying with is super nice, the mother is divorced and i dont think she works but, she likes to make sure that i am doing alright and meeting lots of people, and the son, who i met today is pretty nice as well, and says that he wants to go running with me tonight...i think behind my back he is calling me a gringo though, so maybe ill through him in the water to set him straight.



ps, i burnt the hell out of the top of my head, i guess that serves me right for trying to save money on shampoo, even with spf 40 suncreen.



today was alittle more interesting going back to school for the first time in 3 months, but everything was pretty stellar. my orientation group was made up of 3other canadians and 4 aussies (= much drinking in the future). it was strange going to the orientation as i only expected 20-30 people and there being like 250 (100+ ignorant americans). we got to look around abit, but tomorrow and wed. we are doing some more city touring.

so with all the police on dirt bikes, mullets, and crazy fast speaking chileans, so far so good

caio


Advertisement



27th February 2007

Hi back at you!
So Perry, I am glad that you have arrived safe and relatively sound. How old is the son where you are staying. I hope the Americans aren't really that bad. Stick to the Aussies, althought they have no trouble with their egos either. Watch your liver . . . . don't drink too many brain cells away. News from the home front . . . . Auntie Peggy and Bob got engaged in Mexico. She and he are both very very happy . . . . no news as to when they will actually get married . . . this was a big step for them now. Both of them are very very pleased. Sheldon and I bothe think this is wonderful. Take care and be good to the senoritas Love Mom ()'s :)
27th February 2007

PS Where are the pictures ????? Mom
27th February 2007

Hola
Hola good friend, I hope you know that as you are cooking your skin we are freezing in the great white north aka. Lethbridge. Hope your having fun
1st March 2007

Shampoo
To funny! Sorry that your hair is burnt.. Maybe if we had have shaved a mullet in you could pass for a police man! That might have been fun...

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb