Pied Pipers!


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Having been in Santiago over a week we decide to go off on a little adventure and get a rather nice 3 hour Tur bus to the coastal town of Valparaiso. We have a mini mission from the bus station and still can´t find our hostel - so where do we go for directions, the local gun shop of course!!! Eventually find our hostel up one of the many steep hill roads and are greeted by Tim - a cool guy from America who works there! He points us in the direction of food and off we go! After a rather confusing discussion with the lady who owns the bottleshop we return to the hostel with 2 rather large, rather cheap bottles of beer!!! Then we sit in and watch a film before the whole hostel heads out to a little bar/club for this Canadian girls birthday!
We arrive at this bar and of course the local Borat lookalike comes up to me and asks me to dance! Unfortunately he won´t take no for an answer! So once again up i am on the dance floor trying to be taught the tango - but tonight its just not happening do i bow out gracefully!! Then a Sweedish guy buys me my first Pisco Sour - this is Chile´s traditional drink, it tastes like a mixture of tequilla and rum and i can honestly say it tastes horrible!!!
We decide to call it a night and make our way back to the hostel - this is when we become the pied piper - we are followed by about 12 stray dogs, they all love us, jumping up at us, barking they just wouldn´t leave us alone and some of them are sooooo cute!!

Next day we´re up and take a few hours to explore the town. First we head down to the pier, then over to the guarda house being patrolled by two marines. Behind there are the law courts - of course we have to have a gander at that! Then its a trek up the mountainside to the old prison that is now a ´cultural park´! Well up until a few years ago this place was actually still being used as a prison - all i can say is it would have been a grim life living there!! Then we head back to the hostel, past all the colourful mountainside houses and street art back to the hostel, only to find out that Liverpool are losing!!!

Then we bid all our friends at the hostel goodbye and get back on the coach to come all the way back to Santiago, as we are going on the Lake District tour tomorrow - and no we´re not coming all the way back to blighty! Theres actually a Lake District in the South of Chile and thats where we´re off tomorrow!!

Advertisement



31st May 2007

Pets
You seem to bump into various animals--fish--camels--dogs--crocs--elephants etc where ever you go, its like visiting the zoo, look forward to read what else you will see. No do not try to bring them back to Blighty--we have no room. Remember Dr Doolittle or was it Noah and the Ark ?
1st June 2007

Forward
More new experiences ahead, different languages, people ,cultures etc I'm sure you will enjoy
2nd June 2007

So we on our way
Good to hear you are moving out of the cold zone, onto warmer climates
9th June 2007

What a surprise today (22nd) I had wonderful birthday wishes from South America - my little one remembered - I was overwhelmed and send many thanks. It made by day. You are both obviously like Dr Doolittle in attacting all these animals. We hope to be given lessons in the tango on your return as it seems you have become somewhat of an expert.

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb