Day 2


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
February 23rd 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola

So it´s official, I¨m a blogger. I´m not a huge fan of this form of communication but it seems the best for keeping in touch and sharing pictures.
Day one i arrived at Santiago Airport with Anthony waiting just out immigration. After a brief pow-pow we decided to head to Valparaiso an old port town directly west of Santiago.
Valparaiso surpassed our expectations. 11 hills surrounding one of the oldest ports in Chile. It was a bit seedy but in a fascinating way. We sat for hours on the pier watching young and old men fish with spools of line wrapped around cans, pvc or round pieces of wood called catalinas with a hook and a piece of squid.
Our hostel was perched on the top of Cerro Concepcion with an amazing roof deck overlooking all of Valparaiso, Vina del Mar and Renaca.
Day two we took a 20 minute bus to Vina to check out the beach. lots of sun bathers not many swimmers. The Holbolt current brings water up from Antartica making the water too cold for swimming until the further north.
On our back to Valparaiso we stumbled upon a fabulous market. The building, like almost all in Valparaiso is corrugated metal.
Day three we headed back to Santiago to meet Anthony´s father and friends. Daniel, a consultant for Richard, one of Charlie´s friends and a local, showed us around Santiago and took us back out to Vina - his home town - for lunch.


Hope everyone is doing well.

Take Care,
Maggie (and Anthony who doesn´t care to write as of now)

p.s. Maria I took your advice about Viña! Thanks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007kb