Valparaíso - Valpo for short


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
February 13th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Santiago looking forward to hitting the beaches, but instead we hit 3 days of cloudy skies. Only at 6pm on our last evening did the sun come out!!

Valpo wasn’t our favourite place. We had expected something small and quaint with beautiful funicular railways running up and down its many hills. Instead we found a place looking tired and unloved, in need of a good clean and a lick of paint. It was also suffering after a huge gas explosion and fire ripped apart part of the historic quarter the night before our arrival. The acrid smell of smoke still lingered in the air.

But let’s look at the positives! It has an excellent Metro train system to get you away from town! The funiculars are very cheap and good fun to ride, although the creaking and wobbling does have you worried occasionally!! Some of the barrios have an eclectic mix of brightly painted houses which was good. The fish in restaurants near the Central Market was superb.

Finally, in the Naval Museum it has an excellent heritage attraction. We were particularly impressed with the section about pirates. It seems the Sir Francis Drake was somewhat less than the gentleman and hero he is depicted as back in the UK!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The green wallThe green wall
The green wall

Why would you do this to your house?
DisasterDisaster
Disaster

The fire was substantial.
Stained glass windowsStained glass windows
Stained glass windows

commemorating voyages of discovery
Yo ho hoYo ho ho
Yo ho ho

and a bottle of rum.
CondorCondor
Condor

Figurehead of the Esmerelda
CSAV TowersCSAV Towers
CSAV Towers

If you have to ask, you don´t need to know!!


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb