And so to South America


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 31st 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

To Auckland, and to drop off the Maui. This produced mixed reactions. Marianne nearly broke down in tears. If you listened carefully, you could hear her saying "that's my home they're taking away". Marcus on the other hand couldn't take the grin off his face. You didn't need to listen at all carefully to hear him say "thank God it's gone. I hated it".

It was certainly fun and eventful - but for anyone in doubt, read Nicky's comment. The main issue is how much space the travellers need and, if they are teenagers, what enormous space they will need to feel their personal privacy is not invaded. Quite apart from the fact that the Maui does not pamper and the fact that we're as a group too soft (some softer than others!).

Wandered around Auckland. It's easy to find good restaurants, but very difficult to find any life or soul in the place. We met a friend of Marianne's who lives in the suburbs who said there is no life or soul. But as she tries to avoid Auckland at all times and succeeds except a couple of times a year, she may not be the most knowledgeable commentator. She drove us to a lunch which involved five circular trips round the centre, back to the same place, because she couldn't find the way out. After one night walk, we could do better pointing out the direction. With each circle, the silent sniggering in the back of the car grew - to fairly embarrassing proportions. But it meant that we left NZ on a hysterical high.

Are now at the airport hotel in Santiago. We only have overnight and a few hours, so aren't going in to town but try to get some sleep to go off to the Atacama desert in the morning.

The landing at Santiago was one of the most spectacular we've ever done. You can see the Andes from 200 miles away, glowing white in the sun, getting larger and larger. The ridge is so long you can't see the start or the end - just rock and snow gleaming in the sunlight. And for the nervous flyers out there (including of course me) flying between them as you come in to land is also spectacular.

Off to take Spanish coaching from the rest of the family. So - inevitably spelt incorrectly with my non-existent Spanish - hasta la vista. (And while I'm about it, Bienvenido a Chile!)

Advertisement



31st July 2006

Wow
The flight in to Santiago sounds incredible. I can well imagine the mixed feelings at the leaving behind of the Maui, seem to remember camping holidays with my family that got cramped for personal space issues, hehe. It sounds like you're still having an amazing time of it all though, even without being able to find the life and soul of Auckland. Still very jealous, hehe!
4th August 2006

Birthday
Lauren, Just a quick message to wish you a very very happy 21st birthday. We will be thinking of you and send present when you get back. Enjoy your time in South America, will follow your progress. lots of love to you all. Sue and Phil xxxx

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb