NO MORE JAMON y QUESO NO MAS NO MAS!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
December 8th 2005
Published: December 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Walking Around in ChileWalking Around in ChileWalking Around in Chile

OH! Vina del Mar...where everyone acts like it's spring break.
NO MORE HAM AND CHEESE! Please PLEASE! They serve jamon y queso on the airplane, in every cafe, at the bus stop, every freakin country in south america, i'm going to die. When i get back to new york, im making each one of my friends go to an asian restaurant with me one at a time, because if i dont get some non-jamon-y-queso soon, i´m going to starve myself.

We took this AMAZING bus over the andes mountains to get to chile (9 hours maybe?). It was $15 which wont even get you to New Haven Connecticut. You spend 4 hours leisurely climbing the mountains...everywhere is a postcard picture..with the snow and the grass and views and the clear lakes...and then after customs you go down the mountain in 10 curvy roads in like 10 minutes! We were maybe a foot from the edges. But what a place to die, no? Theres these little shrines everywhere in these mountains, but i should stop freaking out my mother...maybe. non? oh, and the poor bus manager guy. i was a pequeno problema, because one customs guy forgot to stamp my passport, and another guy took my customs paper and shouldnt have,
Meeting ExpatsMeeting ExpatsMeeting Expats

Some nice young American guys we met escaping their corporate lives teaching English in Chile. hmmm. sounds like a good idea.
and then me and t´were last to get on the bus becaus this old guy took so much time making us some tea con leche. and then all the immigration people were very confused by all the things in T´s humongous red suitcase, and she had to go through it all with them.

I cant say anything about santiago, because we arent seeing much of it before heading to the beach. Its MUCHO DINERO for things here. Its 500 pesos to 1 dollar, but that means you double everything and take away the zeros...(math people SCARY!). We really missed Buenos Aires last night, when we realized we´d spent $22 dollars on dinner. Thank goodness i got all my souvenirs already.

Chile is very nice, not as nice as buenos Aires. But humongous, big streets. But also dirty, with tons of ugly graffiti everywhere. The presidential and national elections are sunday, so for some reason the campaigners though it was a good idea to put campaign posters every 5 feet EVERYWHERE. There are NOOOO laws against putting shi&&%&/t everywhere here! But the Hotel Florista where we are staying is on a pretty chicky street and the views are better😊😊.
Some of the poor flats on the MountainSome of the poor flats on the MountainSome of the poor flats on the Mountain

Chile may have the best economy in South America, but there will be poor always.


We´re off to the beach in Vina Del Mar 2 hours away for two nights! My brother has found heaven in the 5 star marriot here where he gets a good deal with all his points so he's staying in the city and enjoying the rich chilean life.

Cant wait to see everyone when i get back...and develop my 5 million rolls of film.

And congrats to Oxygen for having its highest rated Original Movie debut ever last Saturday. Romancing the Bride...(which we only did 5 promos for! by the way) But No, john, I am NOT thinking about work😊 dont worry about that!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Guys hanging at the ParkGuys hanging at the Park
Guys hanging at the Park

Everyone loves getting their picture taken. These chileans are such hams!
Seafood Stall in ChileSeafood Stall in Chile
Seafood Stall in Chile

This is heaven. Shellfish everywhere!
My Brother's Ridiculously large hotel roomMy Brother's Ridiculously large hotel room
My Brother's Ridiculously large hotel room

My brother got a suite at the Marriott with his points when he decided hanging with 3 girls was too much for him. There's a board table in the meeting room.
The Coffee Shop in SantiagoThe Coffee Shop in Santiago
The Coffee Shop in Santiago

These prices were like New York. The peso is 5 to 1 then remove the zeros. Still a great cafe, though.
Santiago looks like anywhereSantiago looks like anywhere
Santiago looks like anywhere

Okay. Santiago is like any other city. I wish I could have gone longer, but not sure it would have been as good as BA.
Election CrazinessElection Craziness
Election Craziness

The national election was the next day. Apparantly there are no laws against putting up a million of your candidates signs and ripping down the competitions.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb