Hot Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
December 4th 2005
Published: December 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Mon. 28th.
We're finally dragging ourselves away from this oases, but maybe it's time. The hotel's xmas tree has gone up, and with a dog and a 1-year-old running around, it's starting to feel too familiar!

The 6 / 7- hour bus journey to La Serena is at last getting rid of the barren sand and rocky mountains, and we are beginning to see greenery - trees even.

Tues.
The hotel pointed us in the direction of the beach, but the 20 min. stroll turned into a 1- hour hike! It was well worth it - the sand is so clean and goes on for miles. Best bit of all, we've got it all to ourselves. Their tourist season starts soon and finishes in March, so goodnes knows how they make enough money to keep going.

Wed.
On down the coast to Viña del Mar, where we are hoping to find somewhere nice for xmas. We've found an "OK" hotel for now, and so far, we're very impressed with the resort. The more affluent places remind us very much of Monte Carlo, lots of palm trees and cannas. The beach area is beautiful with a wide board-walk stetching the length of it. Lots of people here but that just adds to the atmosphere.

Fri.
We took a local bus to Valparaiso to try amd book a hotel for New Year. This is where they have the best firework display in Chile but even that wouldn't persuade us to stay here. The place is delapidated, dirty, smelly - and doesn't seem to have any soul, booking for New Year can wait.

Sat.
After restful, sunny days on the beach, temperature about 75 deg., we're heading for Santiago. The scenery on the way is beautiful, grape vines and wineries dotted all along Chile's "Napa Valley", with snow-capped mountains in the distance. Unfortunately, the bus didn't take us to the city centre, so we had to negotiate turn-styles on the Metro. While I babysat the backpacks in the square, Jim went off to find us a swish hotel. Ìt's just around the corner from the presidential palace and 10 mins. walk from the city centre. After dinner we went walk about and came accross their main Xmas Tree in front of the cathedral. It's huge but artificial, and being next to real trees it just doesn't look right.

Sun.
We've really enjoyed our time in Santiago. It's a beautiful city. Today strolling around, we've come accross a military band, lots of street entertainers and a Chilean group in national costume, dancing to lovely live music. A happy, relaxed atmosphere. Our next blog will be from Punta Arenas for the Patagonia thing, so you've time to get the xmas shopping done.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb