New Years in Santiago...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
January 1st 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Takin it to the Steet...Takin it to the Steet...Takin it to the Steet...

The stroll into town
Well, after arriving 36 hours earlier in santiago from Auckland, the first big event of our trip kicked off. New Years. A taxi from the ariport delivered us to Hosal de Sammy in Santiago, where we tried to convince Charles, the American who ran the joint, to give us a couple of beds even though I´d managed to botch our online booking. He obliged, and gave us the ¨hot-box¨- the smallest four-bed dorm in the place, complete with floor-fan and no window. No matter, we were there.

New Year´s eve began with a BBQ at the hostel, where all 25 or so guests really met for the first time. I manged to get there late, after a poorly-timed siesta (Hey I´m new at this) and then managed to drop my full plate just to announce the arrival of Captian Clutz. Un detered, I started on one of the free cervazas that were going, resolved to put the bad omen behind me, and met my fellow hostellers.

Before long, we were all well lubricated with the fine ale and aquainted with each other, and it was time to hit the streets into the city for the big countdown. It became apparent to us all that this was going to be quite the party, as the main stretch in to the town square (which is very wide) began to fill from all directions. We stopped when we couldn´t get any closer to the TV Tower (still about 1km away), from which the fireworks display was going to be launched.

About half an hour before the New Year, the crown began to work into frenzy, with deafening chants of '¡¡VIVA CHILE!!´, showers of confetti and some strange wet ´Snow in a bottle´ spray flying from all directions. When the final moment came, it was mayhem. Of course, we all went nuts, and locals all around us, who had enjoyed our unusual presence and antics embraced us and cried ´¡¡Feliz Año Nuevo!!´ etc.

The rest of the night is a bit of a blur. I recall getting back to the hostel where some of us proceeded to´re-charge´. We then headed into town, in the back of what seemed to be a ´dibby-van´, about a dozen of us packed in like happy dunken sardines. After a short journey, we arrived at a small club in a trendy spot and danced the night
Dan with a sneaky CelineDan with a sneaky CelineDan with a sneaky Celine

I think someone´s grabbing my arse!
away.

The blur extended into the next day, and I was pleasanty surprised to wake up back in the hostel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Aah.. fireworks..Aah.. fireworks..
Aah.. fireworks..

Our actual photos of the fireworks are rubbish, but you can imagine how good they were by the look on everyone´s face!
The back of Heath´s head.The back of Heath´s head.
The back of Heath´s head.

Not a terrible case of dandruff, just confetti and some other wet spray out of a can stuff that the locals thought was hilarious. Heath was a favourite target for some reason.
Vogue!Vogue!
Vogue!

Celine and Aureli (sp??) strike a pose..
Look at our Tongues!!Look at our Tongues!!
Look at our Tongues!!

Andy and Helen show us one of the less known english customs.
Elizabeth and Anita..Elizabeth and Anita..
Elizabeth and Anita..

Back at the hostel, the ladies rest their legs...
Tomas and PernilleTomas and Pernille
Tomas and Pernille

Tom is very happy that it is now 2007!
Penny and MirjamPenny and Mirjam
Penny and Mirjam

In the back of a dibby van!
Does anyone know where we´re going??Does anyone know where we´re going??
Does anyone know where we´re going??

It was a little tight in the back of the van, but we managed to get make it in one piece!


12th January 2007

Thanks for a great time in Santiago!
We hope you are having a great time in Patagonia.
17th January 2007

Looks like wiggity-wiggity fun...
Take care big fella...
21st January 2007

Enjoy
Good to see you and side show bob are enjoying yourselves.Have Fun
26th January 2007

Happy Birthday Aussie Baby!
Having a lazy day at home on Australia Day. Talked to Mum for about an hour this morning. She is loving her job but figures that it would be sooo much better without staff:) Will be in Qld in Feb for Simon's wedding and a couple of weeks hols at Sunshine Coast. Hope you celebrate your birthday in true Aussie style. Happy Australian Day.
27th January 2007

Side show who??
That's "MR" sideshow bob to you!
28th January 2007

Happy Birthday Bro!
All i can say is that i'm very VERY jealous!! Sound's like you and Daniel are having a great time. I'm settling in here at Perth, it's very different from the Darwin life. Having a bit of trouble finding a job but one should come my way soon. Anyway just letting you know i'm thinking of ya and wishing you a happy birthday. Goodluck with the rest of you trip, xoxo
9th February 2007

You guys are so cute! Looking forward to seeing you this side of town Heathy!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb