Pomaire


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
December 15th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today I went to a tiny little town outside of Santiago called Pomaire, with Kelly. The attraction of this town is all of its ceramics, and so on the weekends, some guy said that there is no space to park cars and its completely full of people. Today we were the only gringas there (almost. Sometimes I want to hug strangers I hear speaking English. I dont really know why, because its not like I dont hear English all the time.), and so it was really nice.

We just wandered around. It took about a half hour to get there from Santiago, but I slept on the way, and when I wasnt sleeping the landscape was gorgeous, alot like that of California. The bus just dropped us off on this random spot on the freeway, maybe a mile from the town. There was trees and farmers (whistling farmers...) grating the fields, and lots of sighns out up for restraunts, and the Circo Russo en Hielo, and outdated Miss Primavera (A celebracion de belleza!) posters.

It didnt take very long to actually get into the town, but it was hot out and there were grande flies trying to kill us. It really was a nice walk. Along the way, there was a little stream, and horses would stare out of there yards at us, and it seemed like just about everyone had some sort of garden bursting with all these flowers and plants and insects in completely perfect health.

The town was nice as well, just streets lined with artisinal shops. We walked down them for a while, got a lesson on clay types and different ways to fire it from a really nice shopkeeper in one of the shops. He had thousands of different types of ceramic bowls and cups and things in his shop, and he said he had made every single one of them. It was amazing. Then a bit further down in another shop (all the shops had the exact same things) We met a little orange flea-ridden kitten that we played with while the shopkeeper giggled at us. We asked what its name was, and she told us that it didnt have a name because there was 16 of them (4 cats gave birth at the same time). I also bought a little clay animals there for Christmas. I hope they survive being shipped back to the states.

We walked all they way to the end of the main street, until there were no more shops, and it was just houses, and then we turned and walked down another street just as all these kids got let out of school. We were totally swarmed by them, and they stared at us as we tried to dodge their bikes and soccer balls and little hyperactive selves. They were cool. We walked with them for a while, until we saw this gorgeous white unicorn looking horse inside this gorgeous yard, and then we walked up to that horse and stared at it for a bit. Then we kept walking. There was a man making a clay bowl, and a dead puppy on a trash pile, and then we were back into the main part of town.

So by now we were hungry, and stopped to eat. But it turned out that there was absolutely no vegetarian food in the whole town save Mote con Heusillo (A drink with grain and an old peach. Its hard to describe, but its good and very sweet, so if you have the chance, try it), which is awesome, but we´d had some earlier, and salad, which sucks in anywhere in Latin America, practically. Actually, salads just generally suck all around. So we walked around for a bit looking for somewhere with non-meat food, then gave up, and took the bus home.

It took about 2 hours to get home. I think we got the bus to Santiago that stops at all the random little towns, not the one we took earlier which took us straight to Pomaire. Of course, we did catch the bus in another town, also.

All in all, a fairly interesting, random day. I got a mint ice-cream bar when I got back to Santiago, and it was really good. And so thats pretty much how my day went. Other than stressing about horrible passport suff.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb