Last days in Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Providencia
November 12th 2012
Published: November 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Upon returning to Santiago from Easter Island, we were confronted with one very large cosy bed in our hotel room (there's not many boundaries left between us any more) and very soon were on the pavement heading towards dinner options wanting some thing quick and easy as it was11pm and our day had started at 6.40am. After walking many blocks I look up and there it is - Tiramisu, rated as Santiago's best must eat at pizza kitchen and on Rochelle's list of must dos. We dined on tasty pizza amongst smartly dressed Santiaguans, looking truly like travelers with unbrushed hair, skanky clothes and lots of Easter Island dust. The music - classic 1980s selections yet again.

The following day we tackled the hill, San Cristobal to take in the sweeping views of the city, whilst we knew the famed funicular was out of action and we would have to take the bus up, we didn't know it was pilgrimage day to see Mary Immaculate whose statue rises from the peak of the hill. Families, teenage missionaries, nuns and everyone in between were on that hill - omg! This meant after waiting around 40mins for the bus to the top and
then seeing little at the top in the human crush, we are desperate to escape......mmmmmmm....... don't want to queue for the bus again as the fish market closes at 3pm and I have crab on my mind for lunch. Problem solved, Rochelle starts her own taxi queue, shanghai's the next taxi before it's occupants are out, cuts a deal with two other ladies desperate toe scape and we are off down the mountain!

Fish, ginormous crabs, eel, shell fish, fish mongers, hoses, locals shopping and people wandering welcomed us at Mercado Central - fabulous. The very lovely gentleman on our hotel reception desk after suggesting we should be English teachers because we are both so attractive, had provided a list of must have dishes. We ignored the glut of tourist restaurants and headed down to the outskirts of the market, found an obliging man touting for business, another local gave him the thumbs up, I produced our list of must try dishes and we were on. $20, 000 for ceviche, two divine crab dishes and drinks - sublime food and an awesome atmosphere making us two happy travelers.

Thanks to Lonely Planet for our tour of Barrio Brazil - if there is truly nothing there please just say so, everywhere in a city can't be fabulous.



This was possibly a sign of things to come for the next few hours...... W roof top not open for sunset so we headed to Pio Nono, the party strip, getting very ripped off by the taxi driver, not happy jan. Had dodgy empanadas on sticky table cloth, got chatted up by very young men who I cautioned against the dangers of smoking and still they persisted chatting us up but did stop smoking god love them, fell down the stairs in my 60 rmb chinese shoes and decided enough was enough.



But it wasn't enough and we found the purple palace discotheque, recommended by Diedgo of Elvis hair fame in previous blog. SeeRochelle's blog for further information on this one or inbox me on fb as this blog is keenly followed by my gorgeous small people. Fell into bed at a very very late hour but did dial home, much to Greg's delight.

Five hours later we arose fresh and rested for our day trip to Les Andes and lunch at Vina Concha y Toro, one of Chile's premier wineries. Marco our driver is most excellent and this time around, we even stay awake. Only minor hiccup was the large bike race taking place and the road we wanted to the Andes was closed, no prob as we stopped roadside , formulated a new plan and were off!

The sky was blue, the sun hot, and the Andes dominated the skyline. Not how we had originally planned to see them, but still great. We passed local cowboys on horse back, saw small local houses with people going about their lives, people adventuring in the rapids, large flowering cactus and dipped almonds into fresh honey at a road side stall.

Lunch was a feast- two platters, one cheese and one seafood were not enough for our tasting of four wines so we included an order of beef ragout and then ended with a trio of home made ice cream. Absolutely divine. Marco drops us home, we pack and head to a hotel roof top to watch the sun set over Les Andes one last time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement




Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb