Torres del Paine - Cuernos del Paine


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
February 27th 2011
Published: March 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to take it easy and get driven around to see as much of the park as possible. When I opened the tent it was sunny but it did not last long. We saw 2 waterfalls but because of the low water level near the end of summer they weren’t very impressive. We then hiked to a view point to see the Cuernos del Paine (horns of Paine) and Paine Grande. Paine is the old indigenous name for the colour blue. There is an excellent description of the formation of these horns and peaks but I was too busy taking pictures. The tourist information centre, empty at the time, has a nice relief map of Torres del Paine.

After lunch we headed to Lago Grey when it started to rain. We could see the east tongue Grey Glacier with some floating icebergs and I got to touch one that floated to shore.

We had very good vegetarian pancakes (crepes) for supper, probably the only evening meal this trip that did not have meat. It was rainy and cold again and we sought shelter at the nearby refugio where it was warm and dry. Unfortunately we had to go back to the camp site. It was advertised as a full-facility campsite, but it was only partially functioning – 2 /4 showers didn’t work, no hot water in the bathroom sinks where if you are lucky you get a trickle of water and toilets more often than not didn’t flush properly. I would not recommend staying at this place (Fantastico Sur). Their refugio (lodge) is fine, but the camp site leaves much to be desired – nothing fantastic about this camp site.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Torres del PaineTorres del Paine
Torres del Paine

Cuernos del Paine
Torres del PaineTorres del Paine
Torres del Paine

Cuernos del Paine
Torres del PaineTorres del Paine
Torres del Paine

Cuernos del Paine
Torres del PaineTorres del Paine
Torres del Paine

Cuernos del Paine
Torres del PaineTorres del Paine
Torres del Paine

Cuernos del Paine


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb