Lake Pehoe to Lake Grey & Grey Glacier


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
February 15th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Tuesday we were up early for our hike from Lake Pehoe to Lake Grey.  The hike was a measly 11 km so we were looking forward to it after our insane hike the day before.  It took us about 4 hours to complete the hike, which was mostly through a valley and some forest.  It was relatively flat compared to the French Valley, but harder than we and our sore feet, ankles, knees, and hips had anticipated.

We had lunch at Lake Grey and waited for a boat to arrive to take us to see Grey Glacier and then to bring us back to the landing.  There was a natural landing for the boat's dingy, so we hopped in and boarded the bigger boat.  Seeing pieces of glacial ice floating in the water got us excited - but not at all prepared - for what we were about to see...

The glaciers were even more amazing than we could have ever anticipated.   Huge grey/ blue peaks of ice towered above the lake in front of us.  Eric estimates the peaks were about 40 feet high.  Although that seems tall, its sad to think how much they have shrunk over the years.  Grey Glacier is receding at a rate of 13 km per year!  😞

We passed out on the boat after seeing the glaciers.  It had been a long day and we were happy to board the coach.  We saw a herd of guanaco and some birds, but the trip was otherwise uneventful. 

When we got back to EcoCamp, we were ecstatic to find out that we had been upgraded to a "superior dome" a night early... Hurray!  This means that we had our own bathroom (attached), heat, and electricity.  After two days of being on the trail, it was really nice to feel comfortable.  We enjoyed another nice dinner with our group and played some skipbo before heading off to bed.

Another great day in Patagonia ends...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb