Day 120 - Valdivia


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Ríos » Valdivia
October 30th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post


This overnight bus journey was made more enjoyable by seat numbers 3 and 4, where you can get a great view out the front window. This made for a more scenic journey with a less painful neck at the end of it.

Once arrived in Valdivia - a very cold town surrounded by rivers - where it is either sunny or raining, nothing in between. We were approached by Ana, a lady who would not take 'no' for an answer about staying at her guest house for the night. Looking for a quiet life we accepted and found ourselves in a very homely house, with hot water (5 minutes max per person per day, which kind of took away from the homely feeling).

We then stretched our legs by wandering around town taking in the tourist office. It had a very helpful English speaking lady, who insisted on telling us about the nearby national parks that require a car to get to - we did explian to her we did not have a car, but that did not seem to get across in any language. We moved onto a fresh fish market where you can see the biggest, laziest sea lions we have ever seen (they are induldged with fish bits on tap). They are quite an impressive sight, but when they burp - which they do a lot - they release the most revolting rotten fish smell.

We then visited the local arts market, where as usual all the stalls sell exactly the same stuff, had some very fresh and delicious fish and chips and then another good walk around the rest of town, all in the afternoon sun along the river. Very pleasant.

In the evening we went to an Italian resturant over the bridge, where Gemma had a delicious ravioli dish and Ed a pizza.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 21; qc: 111; dbt: 0.1181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb