¡Dude! ¿donde está mi coche?


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos
March 16th 2008
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Somewhat surprisingly for a region known for its generally vast expanses, Patagonia can feel like a bit of a small world at times! You tend to see the same faces on the same boats, buses, and trails. With this in mind, when Rob & Lindsay (an English couple we met on the Navimag) suggested hiring a car with the intention of getting off the ´Gringo Trail´, we jumped at the chance.

The car in question was authentically Latin American, by which I mean to say totally knackered. Miraculously it survived the 7 day road trip, but not without incident, breakdown, and general decay. The suspension was constructed entirely of worn out rubber bands, the engine approximately 1800 horse power (all dead), and the battery contained the power of one of those dodgy AAAs they sell outside of Brixton station. Loaded with backpacks, we powered up hills in exactly the same way a one legged war veteran might. When carrying a small ocean going liner.

Fortunately I didn´t have to do any driving, and thus we are still in the land of the living.

Our 7 day trip took us up through the Chilean Lake District. The Lake District
Puerto VarasPuerto VarasPuerto Varas

Back on dry land
is just north of Patagonia, and sits on either side of the Andes. It´s comprised of the ubiquitous volcanoes, snow capped misty peaks, huge and tranquil volcanic lakes, and rolling green fields. Had I ever been to the Swiss alps, I´d probably now be making a lazy and over used comparison.

Heading north from our Navimag departure point at Puerto Montt (rather like my hometown of Gosport, but without the rustic charm), we took in the touristy sights of Puerto Varas and Villarica, before getting properly off the beaten track. Some of the more notable sights included a series of anti-Pirate forts (Francis Drake not a popular fella round these parts), beautiful beaches populated solely by cows and seagulls, German micro breweries (there´s a big German influence here), and crazy seaside towns for Chilean holiday makers.

The highlight for both of us by far was a white water rafting trip near Pucon. The river is supposedly one of the best places to raft in Latin America, with a series of Grade IV rapids to navigate. It´s fair to say we were both nervous before we got in the raft, the zenith of which being when the instructor was imparting wisdom for what to do if the raft overturned on rocks, but after the first rapid was successfully cleared, we were loving it all the way. In fact the only dunk we took was voluntary, jumping off some rocks to avoid going through an impassable grade VI waterfall. We have some photos to load them up as soon as we can grab them off our raft mates!

I don´t think I should leave you, however, without recounting Natalie´s moment of triumph on the Navimag boat. How many people can lay claim to the fact that they´ve scored a Dance Off victory for the UK against the Gallic Might of France? Well, Natalie now joins this select few, having laid waste to the best that our cheese munching neighbours had to offer with her disco proficiency.

A very drunken last night on the boat (for everyone I might add!), culminated in a game of disco-bingo. The disco element coming from the fact you needed to dance to claim your prize in the event of a tie situation. Natalie foolishly managed to score a full house at the same time as a French lady. As Nat was sadly without
Our hire carOur hire carOur hire car

Before it started to crumble like a pudding
a dance partner (Bingo Caller: "Is this your wife?" Cowardly Scook: "I´ve never seen this woman before"), she was forced to dance with a Chilean hunk man to claim her prize. The photos, whilst cracking, do not convey the full compliment of disco moves that were deployed by our heroine, (probably) including the Funky Chicken, Stir the Big Pot, and Ride the Horse Side Saddle. Victory was inevitable. All that remained was for Nat to cruelly share the spoils of victory (a bottle of vintage Chilean red) with her Latino Love Muffin, rather than yours truly. A travesty!

Yours,
Disco Si xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Haircut!Haircut!
Haircut!

Short eh?
Glacial RiverGlacial River
Glacial River

Running through volcanic rock
The AndesThe Andes
The Andes

The other side of those mountains is Argentina (and all that tasty malbec...)
Chilean Lake DistrictChilean Lake District
Chilean Lake District

Quite lovely...
The beautiful village of PunacapaThe beautiful village of Punacapa
The beautiful village of Punacapa

Here we bought cider and escaped imaginary cannibals
Rescue!Rescue!
Rescue!

Flat battery problem solved by nice Chilean men with jump leads


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb