Chiloe Island - Northern Patagonia


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
March 11th 2015
Published: March 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We drove to Ancud from Puerto Montt in our rental car. We had to cross to the island on a car ferry. We were lucky the ferry was there when we pulled up. We took a few pictures from the ferry. It was an easy drive until we got to Ancud. The small town is full of two way streets that turn into one way streets. I am driving and I go the wrong way on a one way street. A taxi driver waved me over and asked what address we were trying to find. He then directed me to the correct street. We find our Airbnb rental, it is an apartment with a great view of the bay. That night at dinner our taxi driver was eating dinner with his family a few tables away. He did not see us but we did hear him telling a local at another table about the crazy American driver (that would be me).

Ancud is a picturesque fishing village set up by the Spanish in 1768. It is easily walkable (easier to walk then drive). We walk all over and I buy a funny hat and knitted gloves. Mark and I ate the same meals for lunch and dinner but I alone get sick. I am sick all night and the next day we have plans to visit penguins. We are only here for one night so if I want to visit the penguins I must go sick and all. We drive south along the bay and continue out of town. We turn left at the fork in the road, the large sign points the way to penguins. We drive until the road ends then continue onto the beach. There are six boats here that can take you out to see the penguins. We grab the first boat heading out. It is almost the end of penguin season so we are happy to see they are still here. After our 45 minute boat tour we head to our next destination in Chile. We enjoyed Ancud, the people here are almost all indigenous people of Chiloe and they are very friendly. A woman who works at the gas station helped us get our SIM card working. We needed to sign up for a plan and buy minutes. Now we know you go to the gas station to buy minutes for your cell phone. We wish we had planned more time in Ancud and Chiloe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th March 2015

Chiloe Island
Glad to see you blending in with the locals except for your driving. I also had a almost driving disaster with one way street. Sorry to hear about you getting sick. Love the color of the boats, is there any significance to the colors? Looks like you are also having some wonderful weather.
22nd March 2015

They love color in Chile, the boats and houses have a lot of color. Selling paint must be a good business in Chike.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb