Team Chile - Post 8 (I think!)


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
July 31st 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Dias!

It is the last day of July and we are at approximately the half-way point of our trip. Somehow it feels like we have been here longer because we have already done so much. And yet, we still have so much of the country to visit!

We have spent the last couple weeks travelling through The Lake District of Chile. When last we wrote, we were settled in the city of Valdivia, a "university town" on the coast, nestled between two rivers that lead to the Pacific Ocean. Valdivia is home to a large population of german immigrants, countless fishermen and of course the "lobos marinos" or sea lions which have found a comfortable home in the river along side the Mercado Fluvia, the central fish market. We found endless amusement in watching the sea lions beg for fish from the locals and sun themselves on floating docks, which were apparently installed solely for this purpose.

Valdivia is also the home of the Universidad Austral, one of the most well known universities in Chile with one of the oldest veterinary programs. We were fortunate enough to spend a couple days with Dr. Jorge Correa in the animal reproduction department of the veterinary school. His researchers work primarily with sheep and dairy cattle, as these two species represent the most important animal production industries in Chile (after salmon farming that is). We participated in the collection of bovine oocytes for in-vitro fertilization and embryo studies. Embryo transfer is growing in popularity among the food animal industry as a means to increase production and build better genetics.

To further our reproductive knowledge, we travelled to Osorno, an industrial and agricultural city 120km south of Valdivia and met with Dr. Jorge Rubilar Bravo, an alumni of the Universidad Austral and a previous colleague of Dr. Correa. Dr. Rubilar specializes in breeding management and embryo transfer in sport horses. The two types of horses he works with are the native Criollo Chileno, a breed popular in the Chilean Rodeo, and Warmbloods used primarily for "Saltos" or Jumping. We got to do a number of reproductive exams per rectum and even got to perform an ultrasound or two. We also got to help with a Criollo stallion collection and learn about the process of semen cryopreservation, as well as witness two Caslick surgeries (a procedure performed to prevent infection in the uterus and increase reproductive performance. Enough said.)

Although it is winter here and veterinary work is generally slow, we found plenty to keep us busy until our scheduled forced us to move on and head further south. We have enjoyed a couple days rest on the rural island of Chiloe amongst native sheep and dairy farmers and now we eagerly await our flight to the southern tip of South America and Chile, Punta Arenas.

Hasta Luego!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb