Ups and Downs and... Keeping it Down


Advertisement
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
March 29th 2007
Published: March 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Five girls: three from the States (Alex, Liz, and myself), one from Brazil (Geisa, pronounced Jayza), and Marketa, from the Czech Republic. A plane, a bus, a ferry, and a trip from Santiago, Chile to Puerto Montt, then to an island in the south of Chile, Chiloe. Here, I'll give you the raw, unedited version from the scribbly pocket journal where i record spontaneous thoughts and impressions. "D... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ContextContext
Context

I picture a grueling game of tennis going on here just moments before.
DiscoveryDiscovery
Discovery

Pondering whether to climb inside... then I realized I would be sharing it with some local wildlife. Actually, seeing these boats made me wonder about their histories, what happened, why they are here. And it would be cool to find some treasure. Maybe me and Johnny Depp can start a Chile branch of piratry and plunder....
GeisaGeisa
Geisa

In Brasil they make boats that go IN the water....
woodwood
wood

Some interesting stuff. The making of a violin from Alerce, the beloved wood of the island.
Street orphansStreet orphans
Street orphans

Taking shelter under a church's [wooden] columns from the rain that comes and goes in a flash.
WanderingWandering
Wandering

We do much wandering. And pondering. Here we have just discovered a mud beach.
Brasil Brasil
Brasil

On the top of this mountain, Geisa had never experienced cold like this before. With strong winds and windchill hitting bottom of 40 degrees, her brasilian blood was in agony.
MoleMole
Mole

It seems the littler the girl, the more clothes she brings. and the more clothes she brings, the more like a mole she looks. and the vicious cycle continues.
Puerto MonttPuerto Montt
Puerto Montt

See what I mean about pale, frail eyes not faring well? We're out of our habitat and it shows.
Puerto MonttPuerto Montt
Puerto Montt

A beautiful city. Okay, a normal looking city. Beautiful seascape. And the #2 Salmon producer in the world.
LanchaLancha
Lancha

A ride through a tunnel of trees that opened up into a majestic lagoon.
Isla LoreleyIsla Loreley
Isla Loreley

I think I want an island of my own with a sign like this. Yes, I think that's my new life goal.
When words run dryWhen words run dry
When words run dry

I start scribbling pictures of what I see. No, my memory card did not run out. Silly postmodernists.
Nature speaksNature speaks
Nature speaks

This tree caught my attention. After studying it for awhile, I realized, that tree looks all alone, but I bet it's the strongest tree on that whole hill. Why? It has been forced to be alone, while the others have taken shelter in numbers. If I had to hide in a tree, I would pick that one, because it has withstood the most and continues to grow. Being alone is not always a bad thing.
The road toThe road to
The road to

where to now?
My new friendMy new friend
My new friend

As I said, I think the art God makes with wood is pretty stinkin cool.
EconomicalEconomical
Economical

We poor college students try to save money by packing a lunch. And look at the view we get. Some sacrifices are just not.
MuggedMugged
Mugged

Do you see what I'm going through here? I'm being cornered by a greedy pup. Who does not need my food. But I'll fight like I'm Alex with a nutella croissant. Except he's soooo cute.....
Platters of goodnessPlatters of goodness
Platters of goodness

The ghost of Christmas Present has been here, obviously. Father Christmas of the island, bringing all thing good. NOT.
Uh ohUh oh
Uh oh

I may vomitar again just looking at them. Here you have them, the culprits....
We look so happyWe look so happy
We look so happy

If it tastes so wrong, how can it be so...oh wait, wrong. Yes, I should have followed my instincts on this one.



29th March 2007

wow
wow. says it all.
29th March 2007

diana! you're an incredible writer and an amazing photographer. :) i am so glad you are throwing yourself totally and completely into this experience, and enjoying it (and learning!) so much! i love you!! :)
19th April 2007

It looks like you're having a blast! I hope you're really enjoying yourself and having a great experience. I definitely can't wait to hear more!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb