Day 125 - Exploring the south coast


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
November 4th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we bit the bullet and ventured out of the comforts of Castro (and our cabana, for that matter).

We caught the 2 hour bus to the end of the island. To the southern 'frontier' feeling, thriving port town of Quellon. The journey there gave us a good insight into the lay of the land. A lot, if not all, of the inhabitants of the island live on the east side of the island, due to the more settled weather. We passed ranches, dense forest, seaside towns nestled in secluded coves and many roaming livestock and dogs.

Quellon is not all that noteworthy, but it did produce a very pleasant restaurant for us to sample some more local fish. Ed's salmon and Gemma's marluza (or something like that) were delicious.

A possible claim to fame that Quilán shares with a couple of other towns (such as Puerto Montt, Chile and Ushuaia, Argentina) is that this town could be where the Panamericana ends (or starts, depending on which way you are going). This is by no means gospel but our Lonely Planet says it's the case, as well as Wikipedia. The latter also mentions that the other end is at Fairbanks, Alaska. We have been there too! A mere 30,000 miles of roads makes up the full Panamericana network and our bus journeys have taken in many thousands of those miles.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb