Day 123 - To tour or not tour, that is the question.


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
November 2nd 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Today our mission was to go on, or at least arrange for a future day, a tour to either the National Park on the west coast or somewhere else of interest on the island.

However we came across a number of hurdles: a constantly closed tourist office, and a claiming-to-be 'always open' tour operator which was not, with two evil ladies not letting us get or look at a leaflet until the place opened "any time now". Oh and another tour company that is promoted around town - their office is a building site. With no forwarding address.

Not being beaten, we tried to arrange to go to the park ourselves - surely it could not be that hard. However, the only bus company - that has one bus a day - never has anyone in the office. And we have been back so many times we could be classed as a vagrant at the bus terminal.

Eventually when the tour operator (that does exist) had an employee present, he told us the daily tour to the park was not happening for the next two days or so as he has no buses! "Where are they?" "Not sure, but we should be okay for Sunday, can I take your money now?" - No I think we will leave it for now!

Somebody is trying to tell us something here, so we bought some more Patagonian wine and headed for the cabana!

Today's observation: as you walk around the busy streets of Castro, EVERYONE is eating ice cream, whatever the weather.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 16; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb