Onwards and upwards...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Atacama
September 12th 2009
Published: October 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

San Pedro de Atacama, what a place!!! I had intended putting this blog entry in with the last one to make one big Chile entry but San Pedro really deserves it´s own spot.

It´s in the north of Chile at an altitude of 2,500m in the Atacama desert, the driest desert on the planet. The town is like something out of an old western movie and the scenery fits too, the place is amazing. The only problem is that the town now exists only for tourists and its right bang in the middle of a desert so everything is expensive, but still worth it 😉

We got picked up at the bus stop buy a lovely lady who took us to her hostel, called "Cabur", we were too lazy to check the other hostels. We found out afterwards that it is actually the cheapest hostel in town by far so good for us.
The hostel itself was really nice, the rooms were basic but nice and clean, the kitchen was usable and they light a fire in the courtyard common area everynight. Great music plays all day and night and theres hot water. I went off to the butchers and got two of the biggest steaks I´ve ever seen and cooked them over three nights; one was too big for 1 sitting. They were cheap as chips too, probably 6 euro for all three, I´m lovin´it!!

We had 4 very hungover mornings in Hostel Cabur which is a testament to the relaxed friendly atmosphere in the place. Despite the hangovers we still got up and out to explore the area. We rented bikes from the hostel and went out in to the desert twice then went walkabouts one day too. The desert was amazing all the rocks were made of salt. You can see the crystals in the rocks and it you land on one they are hard and sharp. There is nothing outside the oasis of San Pedro, it is dry and barren but it makes for great views. I think the photos speak for themselves.

For the hardcorers there are loads of tour companies that do orgnised tours and the area has so much to see but with our budget and lazyness we stayed away; most start between 4am and 7am...

Next up: Bolivia - 3500m, and hopefully saving some money...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Its a salt desertIts a salt desert
Its a salt desert

and of course I had to make sure
There wee tunnels out thereThere wee tunnels out there
There wee tunnels out there

so ofcourse we explored
ah.. a sunsetah.. a sunset
ah.. a sunset

there was 50 people there to share it though


Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb