Crossing to Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Arica & Parinacota » Arica
May 2nd 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Crossing to Chile

We left Arequipa on the morning of the 26th April on an early bus, The terrain to the border is monotonous just desert, grey ugly desert so we snoozed.

We jumped a cab in Tacna on the Peruvian side and our driver was a star, he helped us with our papers, lugged our bags and advised us on crossing the border, turns out it was pretty uneventful, We had no food stuff on us as they are very strict about no fruit and veg and also other food stuffs, the list is on the back of the migration card you have to fill in, We heard stories of some travelers trying to smuggle fruit over but getting caught, why would you? The fine is $250 and is not worth it for a few apples, also its for good reason, The Chilean government is trying to keep med fly out of the country, if it were to reach Chilean crops it would cause untold damage, Leave it behind, besides there is no shortage of needy families on the Peruvian side you could pass it on to if need be.

Arica, our first stop on the other side is a somewhat ugly town, bordered by the same grey lifeless desert that runs down to the sea, Its unbelievably dusty here and within a day our eyes were sore and our throats swollen and sore.

Chile is economically better off than its northern neighbors, the main street in Arica is full of designer boutiques and fancy restaurants, it is reflected in the prices also.

Its a bit of a culture shock to arrive in a modern town with 1st world amenities after being so long in Ecuador and Peru, having said that there is still evidence of poverty and in some places a lack of infrastructure.

Accommodation is much more expensive as are restaurants but you can still buy reasonably priced food in the market though supermarkets are expensive. There is also a huge variety of good cheap Chilean wines.

One thing that takes getting used to is the polite drivers, they stop to let pedestrians cross, refreshing after years of Ecuadorian drivers who drive like nutters and would plow you over before stopping to let you cross.

Its amazing how some of the little touches from home can brighten your day, for example there was much excitement when I first spotted Canada Dry ginger Ale and stop the lights I was in heaven when I found Kerrygold Irish butter.

We spent the first night in Casa surf which was comfortable despite the building site behind it, the following day we moved to Sunny days Hostel, A wee place ran by a Kiwi Chap and his Chilean wife.

Ross is a superstar, helpful, easygoing and really hard working, he made our stay easy and enjoyable.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb