Pucon, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
April 27th 2013
Published: April 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Pucon, Chile


Pucon, ChilePucon, ChilePucon, Chile

Lago Villarica with the volcano of the same name
Pucon is a very nice town on the shore of Lake Villarica overlooked by the Volcano Villarica and it is only 5 1/2 hours away from Puerto Varas so a nice bus ride for us. We checked into a lovely hostel all wooden and heated by wood burners giving it a swiss chalet feel.

Most people visiting Pucon have one goal in mind. Climbing the active volcano! A hike of 5hrs up. Crampons and ice picks required to scale the near vertical wall of ice to the summit, depending on the wind direction you then get to rest at the top inhaling toxic fumes before passing out and sliding back down. Marks knees have survived all our walks to now but we decided that this might be one step too far.

We spent the first day horse riding through a Mapuche village up high into the hills to see a panoramic view of the lake and towns below, it was a wonderful ride up steep winding pathways. On the return to the village we got to sample some traditional Mapuche cuisine, all cooked over an open fire and it was all very delicious, empanada, meetballs, different breads, sugar cane juice, salsa and jam.

Next day we caught a local bus to the nearby Termas Los Pozones hot springs (about 40 mins away). The springs are in stone pools along the Liucura river, 6 in total all with different temperatures and depths. Mark braved the river just to see how cold it was, I just stuck to the heated pools. A beautiful place with cliffs on one side and the river on the other side of the pools it was a very natural setting and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



7th May 2013

Hi
You look to be having a great time, hope all is well

Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.2661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb