Pucon


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
March 3rd 2007
Published: March 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I am now in Pucon, adventure capital of Chile. Everyone comes here to climb volcanoes, mountain bike and go white water rafting, it is a really pretty town on the edge of a lake but it is strangely like being in a Swiss ski resort! The main street is lined with log cabin type bars and shops and it has a number of camping/sports shops including North Face. It really is a fun little party town though and in a lovely location with the best food I have had so far (infact its like eating at gormet restaurants - serving homemade ravioli stuffed with butternut squash and shitake mushrooms all for only a fiver).
I met up with a nice couple of girls in my hostel and so far have climbed the volcano (with ice axe and crampons - cool) and gone on a 2 day horse riding trek, camping in the mountains which was absolutely fantastic and despite the frost on the ground in the morning not as uncomfortable as I had expected. I had not intended to do the Volcan Villarica as it is quite expensive but again that compulsion overtook me as I could see it at the end of every street as you walk through Pucon.
The volcano was a bit of a slog, just following the person infronts heels for 3 hours, and we were not rewarded with any lava at the top just sulphurous fumes. The way back down was ace though as we were given clip on bum protectors and basically slid down it on our bums in well worn gullys like mini tobogan runs.
We spent that evening soaking our aching legs in the hot springs with a bottle of red wine.
On the horse ride we made our way with the camping equipment on the horses backs and in saddlebags, from the German owned farm called Antilco, up a pass between some mountains we had seen and admired from the top of the volcano. We rode up a steep track in forest and across rickety bridges over streams up to an open area by another isolated farm where we set up camp for the night, using the horses to drag firewood the the campsite. We made a big fire and barbequed sausages and steaks, washed down with wine and pisco sour for desert! The two other riders were German, one of which spoke quite good Spanish and so along with our enthusiastic and friendly guide, Pablo, we sat aroung the fire learning words and names for things and trees in Spanish or English.
In the morning we woke up to frost, although I hadnt been too cold in the night, and packed up before wandering the fields to find the horses. We rode them bareback back to the tents before loading up for the trek back down and a nice gallop allongside a turquoise river.
From Pucon I am making my way further South to Puerto Montt, Chiloe, Punta Arenas then to the Torres del Paine.
I hope this is making you jealous!!
Next update....climbing glaciers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb