Leaving Chile


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have now completed our trip North through Chile and are relaxing for the day in San Pedro before leaving for Bolivia tomorrow. We´ve covered quite a bit of ground on the Pachamama bus and yesterday was definitely the highlight!

We were fairly glad to leave Antofogasta - an industrial wasteland of a city if there ever was one. Had a distinctly dodgy feel to it - probably not helped by the fact that the internet cafe that I was last writing from was robbed whilst we were there. Didn´t realise what had happened until after when there was a huge amount of noise and everything from the counter was snatched. Everyone was ok but we left fairly swiftly after that!

We first stopped off at the Tropic of Capricorn and then on to a train graveyard. Trains from around the 1890´s were left as they were no longer required. Very cool old trains left around in the dust to pretend to drive. We then approached the Chilean Salt Flats - very small in comparison to Bolivia but stunning from the height that we could view them. Lots and lots of salt blocks and then piles of pristine white glimmering salt. Unbelievably cold...and sharp...and yes, I tried it, very salty! Lunch was in an oasis - rather nice to see that amount of green after watching long stretches of sand for the last couple of days. Refreshing dip in the pool overlooking the flats.

The Flamingo National Park was an absolute highlight. We arrived at sunset which was abruptly quick but we had stunning 360 views around the park - completely unobstructed until you reached the mountains in the distance. The mountains basked in blues, pinks and purples which reflected in the lake pools which the flamingos were strolling around in.

We´re relaxing in San Pedro today before leaving for Bolivia tomorrow. We´ve just been to the market to purchase some essential alpaca items - socks and scarfs, though I´m rather keen on a hand knitted baby alpaca jumper too...not quite sure how I´d look in it back home though!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Planking on the saltPlanking on the salt
Planking on the salt

Google planking if you don´t know what this is!
The SaltThe Salt
The Salt

It does taste salty in case you´re wondering!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb