San Pedro de Atacama and the Salar


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Gill ingezouten 26 secs
2: Joost als dobber 26 secs
3: Mountainbiking 1 5 secs
4: Mountainbiking 2 14 secs
View from campsite(Volcano)View from campsite(Volcano)View from campsite(Volcano)

San Pedro de Atacama
Hi Everyone
Well all is good here and we are still going good. We have seen some amazing sites and meet some great people. We have been at the highest point of our trip which was 5000m , something i think will be hard to achieve again and well not sure if i would want to, but it was great to be so high. Well from being high down to being low, we go back to sea level and to the bottom of Bolivia and a liitle lower into Chile.
The fotos show the north of Chile which is the worlds driest desert called The Atacama Desert. We spent some time around here in a small town called San Pedro de Atacame. It is desert town so lots of sand and nice and warm. We traveled around here to the geysers and salt lakes which you will see you can float with no effort, same as dead see and very very salty.
There is alot of thermal activity around there also and so when we went to see the geysers it was -5 degrees and i was freezing my little toes off. Never wear converse trainers to a very cold place you may as well not wear any shoes. It was before sunrise so really cool to see all the gases while the sun was coming up. Then at 7:30 am i got into my bikini to have dip in the hot thermal! oooooh! My toes defrosted and it was soooooo nice.
The landscape varies so much up there. From really barren thermal sections to lushes green where we got to guanacos(type of LLama) with multi coloured feathers hanging from their ears for pachamama(mother earth). It was really beautiful.
The land is very red soil which gives the landscape a lovely warm feel and i love red soil as it is so different from what we have at home. We went for a mountain bike ride through some of the areas canyons and it was great. It was only Joost, myself and nature. Outside o9f the canons was lushous grass and a river but in there it was so dry. Some of it was really narrow with high walls reaching up both sides and all you can see is the blue blue sky. The grass here also looks really vibrant green. I think because everthing else around is so dry.
From here we took a tour to take us into Bolivia across the Salt Flats for three days.
But for now this is it. Hope you like the pics. Till very soon
Big LOVE g&j


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Volcano near San PedroVolcano near San Pedro
Volcano near San Pedro

Has a lake inside
Ahhh just relaxingAhhh just relaxing
Ahhh just relaxing

Salt lake, really strange feeling and funny
Look no hands!Look no hands!
Look no hands!

Joost test if it really works!
Sunset at the salt lakes!Sunset at the salt lakes!
Sunset at the salt lakes!

The red soil turns pink, orange, purple! Amazing


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb