From Patagonia To The Atacama Desert


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Antofagasta Region » Calama
July 31st 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Traditional Dancing in Salta, ArgentinaTraditional Dancing in Salta, ArgentinaTraditional Dancing in Salta, Argentina

Nightly entertainment as you eat your juicy steak.
We left southern Patagonia on a mammoth 2 day bus journey (the only possible way was to hit the coast of Argentina and head up) and had to overnight in the only town I have not liked in Argentina, Comodoro Ridavaria. Its a Petroleum town, really sterile and dull, but plenty of people living the good life with their big pay cheques. We woke up the next morning to ´enjoy´the Argentine´s independence day (9 de Julio). Well there wasn’t much on except a marching band (which we had missed). Oh well. We caught a bus that night to Bariloche - Lakes District.

Bariloche is really nice, very touristy though but full of all the things you would expect from a skiing resorty type town - heaps of ski gear for sale/rent, and loads and loads of chocolate stores everywhere. We spent a couple of relaxed days there, the highlight was probably watching the semi final of the copa america cup, where Argentina flogged the opposition, and everyone was going nuts. What a night!

We left Bariloche and crossed the boarder back into Chile, stopped briefly in Orsono (what a hole of a place), where we copped our first bit
Argentina Steak!!!! YUMArgentina Steak!!!! YUMArgentina Steak!!!! YUM

My last supper in Argentina.... steak that melts into your mouth...
of rain in ages. We then went to Santiago.

Santiago was (yet another) let down in Chile, nice plazas and some great museums but not much else. Too many strip clubs and ´cafe con piernas´ (coffee with legs shops) everywhere.... the men in Chile seem to be the biggest perverts of the lot. Even the nightlife was drab... pubs are dull and lifeless.... at the end of the day I was more than happy to say ´lets go back to Argentina!´

So we booked our bus tickets, and that very night I was crook as a dog (had not been sick since Brazil).... my poor stomach. Anyway the bus was canned anyway because the road across the Andes was snowed in. I didn’t know if I was happy or pissed off, I think my stomach/bowels were glad I could remain near a decent toilet for one more day, but annoyed I had to stay in Chile for an extra night. Oh well, at least I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything while a wasted away the day in bed....

The next day the road was open and away we went, to Mendoza, Argentina´s wine
Cordoba, ArgentinaCordoba, ArgentinaCordoba, Argentina

One of the pedestrain walkways in Cordoba.
producing capital. We kicked back there for a few days, caught up with one of our friends, Gill that we had studied Spanish with in BA. Managed to get out to the wineries too on a couple of bikes.

After sampling plenty of good wine, we went to Cordoba and then to Salta, our last stop before crossing the border (into Chile) out of Argentina for the last time. Cordoba was a nice uni type town, but Salta was awesome. Great plazas and heaps of music and great cafes.... after stocking up the belly with plenty of steak, we left (unfortunately) and crossed the border back to San Pedro De Atacama in Chile, near the Atacama Desert (the driest desert on earth). The town was nice but a complete rip off and full of annoying tourists.... the tour out to the Tatio Geysers (the highest geyser field on earth at 4300m above sea level) was really cool though, especially the swim in the hot thermal pools (the temperature of the water was about 30 degrees in, the temp outside was hovering around 0 degrees).

We left San Pedro quickly and made our way to the Pacific Coast in
Tatio Geysers - San Pedro De AtacamaTatio Geysers - San Pedro De AtacamaTatio Geysers - San Pedro De Atacama

One of the explosive geysers at the world´s highest geyser field at a whopping 4300m above sea level.
Chile, to Antofagasta. We (ie Jeff) had a arranged a tour of the Escondida Copper mine, we were taken out to the mine, the flashest mine and camp I have ever seen I must say. We spent another night in Antafogasta, I really hated that town, too many gross sleazy guys and strip clubs everywhere.... Chile men have a porn problem I must say.

Gladly we left Antafogasta to try and reach Calama for the Wednesday night train to Bolivia, not before we were almost robbed by some dodgy guys.... Jeff nearly strangled one of them when he caught them in the act.... we got to Calama with plenty of time and caught the midnight train from Calama, Chile to Unyuni (sp?) in Bolivia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Escondida Mine Tour - ChileEscondida Mine Tour - Chile
Escondida Mine Tour - Chile

A photo of us in front of the main escondida pit.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb