Brasil - a real melting pot of cultures


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
September 15th 2006
Published: September 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in the Pantanal, the southern wetlands of Brasil after visiting the opposite side of the Iguacu falls.

The Pantanal is a wonderful place for spotting wildlife. Unfortunately though, the weather was not on our side - it rained everyday of our tour (the day we arrived and the we left were beautiful hot, sunny days - typical!). We did see loads though - huge flocks of storks, kingfishers, humming birds, woodpeckers with their red mohicans, black monkeys, toucans, armadillos, a tapir and of course, zillions of alligators - oh yes and lots of pirahna too.

Our arrival into Brasilia was rather disappointing - our reason for visiting was the architecture of Oscar Niemeyer. The images we had already seen in books and magazines and the way in which the city is described gave us a preconceived idea of the way the city would look. We were expecting to be confronted with modernist buildings at every turn and of course, this was not the case.

The construction of the city began in the fifties and was officially inaugurated in 1960 and started functioning as the new capital of Brazil. Obviously other buildings have been constructed since then but
Swastikas and StripesSwastikas and StripesSwastikas and Stripes

There is alot of graffiti with contempt for the USA in South America
it is rather a shame that it seems as if the original vision and ideas of Lucio Costa (winner of the competion for the urban master plan) and Oscar Niemeyer did not follow through to them. Many of the buildings - the highrise hotels, office blocks and huge shopping malls - are pretty hideous to put it bluntly - and we now understand why many people looked at us as if we were crazy when we told them the reason for our visit - the architecture. Of course, the buildings of a city cannot be constructed totally under one vision, ideas must evolve and buildings should reflect the times in which they were constructed - unfortunately, it seems that aesthetics don't seem to come into it for the majority of buildings in Brasilia.

Not to be put off, next day and the day after, armed with our map and a list of Oscar Niemeyer buildings, we spent hours walking down the main axis of the city, visiting all of them. We were definitely not disappointed and we uncovered a few other architectural gems while wandering around the city as well.

Anyway - enough of architecture. We saw some
PantanalPantanalPantanal

This alligator was stalking the boat as we were piranha fishing
great buildings and got a much needed fix of design and construction. Anyone interested in architecture who happens to be in that part of the world should definitely pay Brasilia a visit.

After 3 days in Brasilia, our next stop was the small town of Ouro Preto. We stayed in a lovely pousada, Cafe com Arte, and were given free reign over the house - we could use the kitchen, dining area and lounge whenever we wanted, free internet and the owner even told us to browse through her music collection and play music whenever we liked! We relaxed here, walking through the steep cobbled streets, browsing through the jewellery and craft shops for a few days before heading on to Rio de Janeiro.

Our Arrival in Rio was to be at 4am so we booked into a place called trip hostel in Santa Teresa which ended being our home for the duration of our stay in Rio. The hostel is excellent, very chilled, excellent layout and a really cool owner, it is aimed at a little more mature clientele. Santa Teresa is a pretty part of the city, old houses, trams running up and down the cobbled streets and a very good ambience around the area.

Our time in Rio was spent sightseeing, more shopping and chilling in the hostel and drinking lots of Caiprinhas (wine is rather expensive here so had ti find a substitute!)

Today is our last day in Brazil - South America has been a blast. Central America next stop! Only seven weeks left now - noooooooooooooo!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

PantanalPantanal
Pantanal

These majestic storks were everywhere
Pantanal horse ridingPantanal horse riding
Pantanal horse riding

Alex riding a horse that only went left
Pantanal Pantanal
Pantanal

Me teasing a alligator to jump out of the water with a fresh piranha
Brasilia - beam me up scottyBrasilia - beam me up scotty
Brasilia - beam me up scotty

Government buildings space age style
Brasilia churchBrasilia church
Brasilia church

One of many Oscar Niemeyer magnificent buildings in Brasilia
MonkeyMonkey
Monkey

These were living in the tree at the hostel we were staying in Rio
Rio de JaneiroRio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro

Lapa arches
Mural -  Rio de JanerioMural -  Rio de Janerio
Mural - Rio de Janerio

Imprints of guns stuck to a wall Santa Teresa


15th September 2006

Sounds boring to me
15th September 2006

- what do you mean 7 weeks left? Running out of places to visit?!
That alligator looks VERY hungry - just look at his bulging eyeball. I'm expecting Matthew to be sporting a Captain Hook right hand soon. Did you make it up to Salvador?
16th September 2006

HEY YOU GUYS
I SO PLEASED THAT YOU ARE BOTH DOING WELL AND ARE HAVING THE TIME OF YOURS LIVES - THE PHOTO'S HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC THROUGH OUT YOUR BLOG, AND THE WRITING JUST AS GOOD. MISSING YOU BUT SMILE WHEN I THINK OF YOU. ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN - ITS PRETTY DULL HERE - I'M SOOO JEALOUS!!!! LOVE LU XX P.S DAD CAME OVER FROM FLORIDA, FIRST TIME IN 6 YEARS XX
24th September 2006

alligator
does that alligator know who he is dealing with? I have heard that alligator steak goes really well on a sandwich. Enjoy the rest of your adventure. See you soon.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb