Santa Teresa, Rio


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
July 14th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sat

Bus to Rio very early however this is no local bus. It's the same luxury job we took from Rio last week and it's seat back, leg rest up and conk out for 3 hours. Very relaxing. We all sleep. Our new pousada for sat night looks, from the outside, like every other building in Santa Teresa (rio old town).... a dump. However on the inside it's just superb with an outdoor terrace with small pool, fridge bar and great views over the city. Full use of the whole house (two others staying). This is the old part of town we stated on last week and during the day we wandered the streets with the odd shop/ bar/ restaurant. Very bohemian ( look it up). Great vibe and si friendly yet with an air of apprehension before nightfall. We're surrounded by Favelas (Brazils equivalent of Ruchazie, Easterhouse and Castlemilk) but worse. Sunset at 6 so Tricia and I leave boys in apt with wi fi and we head down around 5.30 to the Lapa Steps (10 min walk). We have a good wander. Interesting... Fairly. Intriguing... Quite. Run down.... Totally. Scary......very. But this is the heart of Rio and everyone is so friendly but every 5th person looks mental!Anyway, we have a few drinks, wander, then flag 2 taxis to be told each time they will not take us up the hill to Santa Teresa...hmmmm must be a reason. For second time we have no option but to walk up the so called gauntlet, where the guide book says you will get mugged. Dark, steep and Tricia totally out of breath after 3 of the 15 min walk. At least if a mugger appears its Tricia they'll catch not me. Arrive safely at 7.30 to find boys in lounge watching Brazilian football ....againMight as well join them with a beer whilst Tricia has a shower. Reckon we will walk up the hill tonight to the street party in centre of Santa Teresa. Wild but very safe (famous last words).Goodbye cruel world.........Wandered up to street party- totally mobbed - totally safe. Live brazillian band and dancing And a very strong caipirinha from the local streetstalls is the perfect nightcap.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb