Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
March 15th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sitting between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Paraty is a great place to 'get away from it all' and is our first stay in Brazil. This is one of the world's best preserved Portuguese colonial towns and is now World Heritage listed. The town was originally settled in 1531 on the opposite side of the river, but in the 17th century the Indians who lived on the current site were driven away and the town moved. The main part of the town are cobblestone, pedestrian-only streets and at high tide, some are partly covered in sea water, adding to the rustic, colonial charm.
Leaving Parati behind, we head to Brazils 3rd largest island: Ilha Grande for an island getaway to relax, explore beautiful beaches, snorkel, swim and soak up the sun for three lovely days - great except it rained every day nearly all day! The only sight of sun was as we were waiting on the jetty for our boat to take us to Rio!
Our final destination sees us travel to Rio De Janeiro or Cidade Maravilhosa (Marvellous City). The locals like to say that 'God made the world in six days, the seventh he devoted to Rio'. This heaving metropolis is set against the luminescent green of Guanabara Bay and surrounded by the slopes of Sugar Loaf Mountain and Corcovado. Our first day we head out on a city tour visiting the grand statue of Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer) which, personally, is actually over-shadowed by the view of Rio from the base of the statue. This was followed by a cable car ride to the top of Sugar Loaf where there are more impressive views of the city below. The next morning we head to one of the favelas (shanty towns) for a contrasting image of Rio. Houses built on top of one another, overcrowding, crime, sewage and rubbish all over the streets are all common in these areas, where people move into Rio with little money trying to make a better life for themselves. Again in contrast, the beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema (my hotel looked out over the latter) are long and beautiful, with people exercising on them at all times of the day, from jogging, cycling, rollerblading and skateboarding in swim trunks/bikinis as well as the usual shorts and t shirts. On the beach itself there are people participating in yoga, weight lifting, football and of course beach volleyball! The sea itself is beautifully clean and clear - all making Rio my favourite city in South America.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb