Ilha Grande, Sao Paulo and Blumenau 06.10.2011 - 23.10.2011


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » São Paulo
October 20th 2011
Published: October 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


06.10.

3 hour bus trip and 1.5 hour boat trip to Ilha Grande, one of the most beautiful Islands in Brazil. The bus was tiny and so was the boat, it was more like a dingy than a boat really. Lol but the sun was out again, so caught a little suntan on the way over to the Island. Ilha Grande has no cars and no proper roads, just a really chilled out place to relax. Lots of nice restaurants, a few bars and many trekking routes around the Island.
We stayed at the Beergarden hostel, which was only built in 2010, so brand new beds and restaurant, a great place for 24 rais a night. We had a stroll around the centre, went down the beach for a beer and an acai and had some great food at our hostel. (amazing buffet)

Since we bought a few bottles of Cachaca for the night, we decided to play some poker, but changed it into a drinking game really. Later on we went to the Che Lagarto bar and had a few more drinks. Met some nice people from Australia and England over there, exchanging travel storys and tips. (most of them we don’t remembered the day after cause of drunkenness…lol)




07.10.

UUUUuuuhhhh bad hangover for me today. Don’t think the 2dollar bottle of Cachaca went down very well. I spent most of the day in the toilet being sick whilst having a banging headache..

We did get up early and went to the beach to catch some sun. We met superdog there, so this dog had a stone, his owner would throw it in 2meter deep water in the sea, the dog would swim out, dive down and get the stone.. very very impressed.. also he would dig with two paws at the same time, not one after the other like a normal dog. Had to take a video, he was hilarious…

No drinking for me tonight, the boys were watching the game brazil – costa rica, then to bed around 2 because we had a big hike the day after.



08.10.

Ok so feeling good for the hike we set off about 2 hours late lol, and two of our friends joined us so was going to be a good day. The walk was nice not much life out there as far as birds or crazy wild elephants so was a 3 hour hike of a lot of green really. The first beach was very nice it had sand and water oh and some rocks lol, the chilled out for awhile but not wanted to get a rash at mid-day I opted to stay out of the water as there was still about 1 hour more of hiking.

Getting over to the last beach and it really was very beautiful we all I think where blown away by how nice the sand water and the beautiful back drop. There we had nothing to do for about 5 hours just sit, swim and relax PERFECT, so 2 minutes of sunbathing for me was enough I was bored looking around on how to entertain myself for the next 4 hours and 58 minutes I saw some local guys playing footy YES im off and with my fluent Portuguese asked if I could join them.


After the footy it was time to go so we headed back to get the boat and on the walk back we came across some little monkeys they where so cute as you can see from the picture I posted.

As normal we got home had THE 3 S’S (shit, shave, shower/ in this order of course), then begun the drinking games inviting the whole hostel to join in, which they did. Anyways everybody knows about how drinking games go, they are messy and fun so I don’t need to talk about it too much but the one think I have to mention is that we met this Irish guy Eamon and his girlfriend, both seemed to be quite quiet and for sure came out of their shell lol. Heading out the girl went to bed and Eamon (who we called Irish from now on) came out with us and I shit you not the guy looked like a pilled out 7 year old on the Brazilian dance floor, he was making so many moves I didn’t know wheter to help him to hospital or just watch the disaster / epic scene.


We will never forget that night out with Eamon, he was entertaining the whole nightclub, throwing his flipflops around, doing these crazy moves, breakdancing on the floor and hitting everyone in his way..lol many blue bruises must have been given by him to everyone..but what a great show!

In the end Marcia and Myself went to grab some food and headed home, never to see Irish again GUTTED lol.



09.10.

Waking up to what felt like a cat had been burnt and put out with a males urine stick in my mouth I put our names down for a 2 hour walk to a waterfall. Having waves of sickness I really started to regret my decision on going for the walk. But we went and was again a lot of green and then water falling from a high rock then some beach time and still im feeling very rough, the cat was still there in my mouth and the taste of urine was not good. OFF to sleeeeeeep.


Also we did realize today that someone in rio has copied our card and spent 700 dollars of our savings on new shoes and decoration for his house..thank you very much brazil!!!! hours of phone calls to nab and loads of paperwork to do now, how boring..well hopefully we will get the money back since the purchases were made in Forteleza which is 2500 ks away from where we are...



10.10.

Leaving day was easy getting our tickets was a little mission but nothing to hard. Getting off the ferry we only had 30 minutes to get to the bus terminal and every time we are rushing and Marcia has to carry her backpack I know I should take many steps behind her as I know what she is thinking, and if you guys don’t know Marcia had some wheels with here travel bag but on my trip from Manchester to Portugal the airline lost it and now I have many looks of Marcia as soon as she puts it on her back. Anyways enough of the wheels hopefully we will have a car soon..

Ok where was I, oh yes the bus terminal in the end we got there just in time. 7,5 hours in the bus, which was actually quite enjoyable, great views, the seats went back all the way, so nearly as comfi as a honeymoon suite lol






10.10. Sao Paulo


Getting of the bus we then had the mission of getting on the subway and finding our couch surfer host, Manu and Philip had a friends place to stay so me and Marcia were on our own. Was a mission as no one spoke English and even though my Portuguese is fluent they didn’t seem to understand me lol.

Being on the subway we must of looked lost and confused as one guy next to us in the train he phoned a friend and then past the phone over to me and his friend ask us in english where I was going so in the end I told him and he said to follow his friend that spoke no English but he was heading the same way, Marcia was a little unsure about this but I was going to go with it until it felt unsafe and then I would leave (bearing in mind the subway was very well lit, police were littered around the place and lots of people.) So we got off and after the guy helped us we jumped in a taxi and after the taxidriver helped himself to some extra turns we arrived at JanJans house. After having a little chat and talking about our day we heading to bed which was a mattress on the floor happy days. Good night.


11.10.

Our first day in Sao Paulo, we went for a run in a park in Lapa, which was 30min walk from Janjans house..So in the end we ended up running for over 2 hours, which absolutely exhausted me (marcia), matt was loving it.. lol we did a bit of a shop on the way home and cooked a meal for our host Janjan, which turned out to be not exactly what we planned to cook, but i guess it was alright.. 😊

we planned to meet up with manu and phil, but they were going to an insanely expensive countryclub (100 australian dollars entry fee!!) so we decided to go out in lapa with Janjan instead. We couldnt find the nightclub janjan wanted to take us to, so we ended up having a beer in the prob. busiest bakery in the world!! it was rampacked in there, so we got a table after a while and chatted away until 2 in the morning..


12.10.

Today was a holiday in brazil, so Janjan decided to take us on a tour trough the old city of Sao Paulo. We had a nice little stroll around, had some great acai and saw some cool buildings.

On our way back home, we were walking on a sidewalk, I was chatting away to Janjan, when all of a sudden a felt this crazy pain shoot trough my foot. I turned around and saw a freeking taxi driving slowly over my foot, the taxidriver didnt even blink when he saw me.. it took a lot of yelling and shouting of Janjan to even get him out of the taxi, and he refused to aknowledge that he drove over my foot. Janjan immediately called the police and an ambulance, while matt was looking after me, icing my foot that has swollen up and turned into all possible colors of the rainbow. I was so pissed, really couldnt be asked to walk around with a broken foot in a cast carrying my backpack for the next 6 weeks..what an idiot of a taxidriver, driving onto a sidewalk without even looking if there is people walking..

one thing about brazil, the drivers are crazy here..
oh well, ambulance arrived, they strapped me onto a strechter as if I was a psycho, arms, head, legs, everything tightly strapped down..lol we got to the hospital, which was the biggest public hospital in Sao Paulo. well 6 hours later we were still waiting, not knowing if my foot was broken or not. In brazil,everything goes very slowly. So you fill out a paper, you wait. they put you somewhere else. you wait. they xray your foot. you wait. they show you another piece of paper. you wait. you get put somewhere else. you wait. transferred to another part of the hospital and everything starts from the beginning again. Paper, another xray and loads of waiting.

I got out of the hospital at 12.30 in the morning and still didnt know if my foot was broken or not. The first people said it wasnt, but they have to put me trough to the specialists.. there was 7 doctors in the room looking at the xray, the said the can see a fracture, but when I told them about my accident in vietnam, they couldnt tell me if the fracture they can see was a new one or an old one. they said its probably broken, unless i can feel no more pain soon, then its not.. lol great outcome of 6 hours in a hospital..

Janjan, our angel, was running around to the police and after waiting in the hospital for us, she even drove us to mc donalds on the way home, cause we were absolutely starving after everything..what a great way to finish a day..


13.10.

Rest day for me today, I aint walking anywhere with my foot...lol so matt had to do all the shopping while I did some research about buying cars in brazil (what a headache) and getting a cpf (a number that you need to buy a car or book a flight or pretty much do aaanything in brazil) We had some more nice food with Janjan and talked till late.


14.10.

My foot is much better, still bruised and green and blue but I can kind of walk, so I just convinced myself that the fracture they saw in the hospital is from vietnam. lol

Matt and I decided to do a little trip to the football museum in Sao Paulo, we tried to get onto the right bus for over an hour, but everytime we changed the side of the road, the bus came on the other side.. so in the end we just jumped into a bus that drove towards that direction. lol. everything is quite hard to find when you dont speak the language here. Well we found it in the end (about 2 hours later) and it was actually really cool (even for a girl that couldnt give a s.... about football) it was massive, 4 floors and made really cool with massive screens, original balls from the world cups, loads of interesting facts and the football history of brazil.

The trip home was an even bigger desaster than the trip there, well we got onto the wrong bus (my fault, marcia) and ended up in some really cool area for shopping. We had a stroll round the shops, but everything is soooooo expensive in brasil, its more depressing than fun to shop here..

We ended up taking a taxi back home and decided to go out for a little boogie. It was friday night after all and my foot felt a lot better. We decided to to go a underground black music gangster party, so I fitted in perfectly with my sneakers on. I was definately the only blond girl and matt the only blond guy in there.. At the entrance they gave us VIP wristbands because we are so pretty looool prob more to do with our haircolour, so we didnt have to pay entry and could go onto the vip floor. Well the nightclub was awesome, I absolutely loved it and was bouncing away all night long. Matt hit the dancefloor pretty hard aswell after getting quiet wasted, bless him.

Such a great night out, great music and everyone was just dancing away enjoying themselves..aaahhh how much have i missed this music in a nightclub, dirty underground rap and hiphop.. just awesome!
grabed a burger for matt on the way home and fell asleep happy happy happy..


15.10.
Halloweeeeeen party today! we woke up to the smell of food in the air, Janjan and 6 of her friends were cooking a fiest downstairs. 3 of her friends were chefs, 1 from portugal and 2 from france, so they were preparing about 8 different vegetarian dishes. Matt and I tried to help but soon realized we would probably do a better job at the dishes than cooking lol The food was amazing, the desert even better!


After dinner, we had a game of gaemsch with Janjans new flatmate and 2 of her friends, then she organized for us to go to a halloween-couchsurfing-party downtown Sao Paulo. Matt and I didnt have a costume, but no problem for Janjan, she has a whole closet full of costumes! So I was transferred into a dutch lady and matt became Braveheart..lol ? We also had dracula with us, Bladerunner, a catgirl and a hulahula girl.. we squashed into her little car and made our way downtown.. the party was good fun, everyone was dressed up, the only let down was the dj, which was absolutely pooooooo.. we still had a great time dancing around and having little giggles about the other costumes and some weird people.. great night out alltogether again!


16.10.

Got up late - again...lol we are moving on to blumenau today and still dont have a place to stay. The Oktoberfest is happening there, a massive beerfest alike the one in germany, so all the hostels were booked out. We sent quite a few couchrequest but everyone was booked out aswell.. 5 minutes before we had to run to catch the bus we got an email of Savio, saying that he could host us, phhheeeewww. .then a maraton of metros began, blue to yellow, yellow to green, green to red and so on.. we were really late for our bus and it took us 40mins to get there, if we catch the right metro everywhere..challenge!! haha we did make it just in time dou, catching up with manu and phil for 5 minutes at the busstation and then on our way to Blumenau.

We took and overnight bus so we could sleep, but since we slept in neither me or matt were tired.. So matt ended up getting an hour or two of sleep in and I was just awake for 10 hours, sooooo bored! lol we got to blumenau at 06.30 in the morning and Savio was so nice and picked us up from the busterminal.





17.10. Blumenau

Savio took us to a lovely hotel for breakfast after our long bus journey. Blumenau is a great little place, found by the germans its very influenced by german architecture and also fooood..hmmmm!! After a great breakfast savio took us to his house, which for us was like a 5 star hotel! we walked into the house and I said to matt "I dont think we can afford this babe" lol.. Savio is an architect and has an amazing house.The room we stayed in had a massive double bed, a balcony and it was just soooooo beautiful..we felt like in heaven!
we fell asleep straight away after that busjourney and didnt wake up until 3 in the afternoon..savio left a little note with his phone number and a phone for us to contact him when we wake up, how sweet of him..we bumped into him a few steps outside his house, and he was like "guys i just had a great idea, ill quit work for today, lets go to a waterfall" what a legend! so he took us to his "heaven on earth" which was a beautiful waterfall hidden away in a forest outside blumenau..after a little steep hike and a majour river crossing we had a wonderful time relaxing by the river, the boys even went in for swim..


later on savio took us to the oktoberfest in blumenau, which was great fun! its like a little rebuilt germany, with rides, loads of food, even more beer and 3 massive halls with different bands on.. Loads of the people were dressed up in traditional german clothes and there was loads of german food like bockwurst and sauerkraut..hmm...heaven for my belly! Savio introduced us to a beer called Eisenbahn strong golden aile, which was over 8 percent alcohol and tastet delicious, even I liked it! Great little night out with a great host!


18.10.

Lay inn in a beautiful, massive bed, we never wanted to get up, it was so comfi! but the sun was shining so we decided to pick our lazy asses up and we went for a little stroll trough blumenau. Its such a pretty, cute place, loads of german looking buildings and german writing everywhere, which surprised me a lot. Many people in Blumenau actually speak german aswell. In the evening we went for a shop with savio and he cooked us some amazing pasta with mushroom sauce and chicken with a bottle of red wine (or two...lol) Isabella, Savios best friend came over for dinner and we had a lovely evening just eating and chatting..


19.10.

Isabella lent me her german costume, so we went to the oktoberfest parade, which lastet an hour with loads of different themed floats, german bands and dancers.. it was quite impressive.. matt and I went to the oktoberfest again afterwards, together with Savios cousin Guilherme.. more eisenbahn beer, more nice food and german songs.. and matt managed to pick some more gay boys..lol Everyone in brazil that meets us askes for Faci booki ? after 1 minute talking to them.. especially the gay ones with matt, its hilarious... fun night out again..


20.10.

Didnt do much during the day today except for cooking, eating and blogg writing.. In the evening Savio came to the beerfest with us again, he knew half of the people there, very funy..and matt and I got a picture taken that will be on the front page of the local newspaper..lol
The beerfest here is huge, 90 tousand people went on the first saturday this year.. its great that the area is sooo big, so it never gets too crowded, just perfect..


21.10.

Blog day again, have the use the oportunity to have a computer and being able to upload pictures.. big night out planned for tonight to go to an underground electronical house party of a friend of savios.. Savio had 4 more people arriving today to couchsurf at his house, so there was 9 of us going out together.. had the best caipirinha in the world in a little underground bar near the party...the house party was loads of fun, two lesbians on the turn tables, loads of dancing and jumping around..wasted..lol


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 36


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb