Iguassu Falls


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Mato Grosso do Sul » Bonito
September 19th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So...I can now confirm that a 14 hour overnight bus is not particularly pleasant...nor the most sleep-inducing experience!....in fact it´s pretty uncomfortable and smells wierd... and for some unknown reason there seems to be a speed bump every 10 metres in brazil....but in good news i survived and arrived at the iguassu falls...

the iguassa falls were spectacular....much discussion was had amongst the group about whether they were the world´s tallest, widest, largest, wettest etc or none of the above...in the end it was decided that they were definitely the biggest, widest and wettest waterfalls we had seen this week...

we went the the brazilian side first (the falls and river represent the borders between brazil, argentina and paraguay)...which was very impressive...altho populated by what i assumed was the brazilian w.i....

after that we went back to the hotel for a much needed nap...and then went for another meal and drinks...the free caprinhas are definitely becoming a much loved nightly tradition!

the next day we went to the argentinian side of the falls....which involved quite a lenghty wait at the border - unsurprisingly the brits are not the argentinians favourite nationality and i think they were quite happy to put us to the back of the queue....but anyway the falls were amazing...there was a walkway that took you right out to the top of the biggest of them and the sheer power of them was breathtaking to watch...

then after watching just how powerful the waterfalls were...we decided it would be an excellant idea to get in a boat and be driven straight into them...which was really quite wet...and cold....but alsoi great fun...and there was a bit of rapid riding as well - the iguassu falls have def. been the highlight so far..

as well as the waterfalls - the whole area is a national park - it is a subtropical rainforest...so there were plenty of animals etc to look at - mostly monkeys, a type of racoon, lizards etc

the next day was a trip over the border - this time to paraguay...to south america´s biggest black market..i didnt buy anything but there were def. some amazing deals to be had on electronic equipment...a couple of people in the group picked up some top of the range cameras pretty cheaply...other than that we didnt stay in paraguay...

but were instead treated to....another night bus!!...altho this time it was a private one for our group so it was slightly less unpleasant...and having met up with some people who are doing the same trip as me in reverse last night - it would seem that the night buses here are luxery compared with what is to come...apparently this is the first time they have seen tarmac sincethe end of august...

i´m currently in bonito...which is a quiet little town just outside of the pantanal...we are taking it pretty easy here - a bit of snorkelling, swimming, volleyball, sunbathing etc ...and our cardplaying skills are becoming worldclass!

tomorrow we head into the pantanal..which is a big wetland area...where apparently we sleep in hammocks...catch our own meals..and get up close and personal with piranhas and caymens...jduing by the bites the guys were showing us last night..it really is quite up close and personal!..i´m really looking forward to it and will be there for my birthday..



Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb