Paulinho Neves


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Maranhão » Paulino Neves
July 11th 2005
Published: July 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

From Tatajuba we travelled up the coast passing through Camocim (eyesore!) , Parnaiba (nothing there!) and Tutoia (really grim!) and eventually ended up in a small town called Paulinho Neves. We werent really sure what to expect - we knew it was a small fishing town on the banks of a river - but it was much much better than just that !!

Paulinho Neves is the entrance to the small Lencois sand dunes - the difference from the grand lencois - is that the small dunes have vast green areas next to them making them look even more beautiful. We did a really stunning walk over the dunes - cooling off by swimming in the lagoon.

Another day we went with our guide Neilson down the river in a small boat , along the mangroves we saw wild cappachin monkeys that come right to the waters edge to catch the crabs and eat the oysters. In the silence of the forest you can hear the monkeys smashing open the oysters with stones. We drifted past the monkeys on to the rivers foz with the sea - moored the boat and walked along the sand for a while before swimming in clear blue water. As the tide was out on the way back up the river - we jumped out of the boat and waded some of the way - pushing the boat - its easier than paddling !!!

Add to that - swimming in the local river , eating good food at the tiny local restaurant (Valdo´s) , meeting great people and generally enjoying the tranquility of the small town - it was a fantastic place and one we cant recommend highly enough - if you are ever in the area - go to Paulinho Neves !!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Lost !Lost !
Lost !

So one evening we thought it would be fun to go and watch the sunset from the dunes ! We dont need a guide says the missis - the dunes are just over there ! Needless to say , we didnt find the right way into the dunes , couldnt get across the water and then it started raining !!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb