Brazil World Cup 2014 - Day 9


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Distrito Federal
July 5th 2014
Published: July 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last night 2 girls from Sao Paolo who had come to watch the same world cup game stayed over in a different room in Luis’s apartment. In the morning we went with them and Giordano to get brunch at a café (I had a Belgian waffle). After, Bryant and I gave a ride for the girls to the stadium and said bye there. They only stayed for 1 night yesterday and left again after the game.

This was our 2nd time in the stadium but the seats were worse: the very top level and outer ring of the stadium. At least it was somewhat close to the center. And it was still close enough to identify the players and enjoy the game.

And what more than compensated for it was the atmosphere was much better than the France v Nigeria game. The Argentinean fans were incredibly passionate, singing, shouting and cheering the whole time. And unlike the French who most of the time just chanted “Allez Les Bleus”, the Argentineans mixed it up with at least 5 or 6 different songs. At least one of them I could make out that they were singing Maradona is better than Pele! Of course there were plenty of Brazilian fans too and the back and forth singing and chanting between them was great. And the Brazilians were obviously supporting Belgium because they hate their South American rivals.

It was great that the stadium was noisy and bouncing with fans throughout because the game itself was rather mediocre: a fine finish by Higuain to get things started but neither team really got going. Still Messi was a joy to watch with his incredibly quick feet and dribbling skills, although he missed an easy chance right at the end!

We came back and then later went out for dinner with Giordano and Luis during the first half of the Netherlands v Costa Rica game. We came back and watched the 2nd half and the penalty shootout at home.

Well that’s it from my trip to Brazil! It’s been a hugely enjoyable experience and I’m already wondering if I can do something similar for Euro 2016 in France!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb