Day 5 - 1st Day of Class


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
August 25th 2008
Published: September 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Slept on an actual bed last night, it was much better than the couch we are sharing. Our room has 2 beds and 1 couch, 3 guys. We are rotating who gets beds. Breakfast was ok, but they were out of eggs by the time I got there.
Started class at 9am, Rita Cliff (director of Bahia Street) came to the hotel and taught us the Portuguese Alfabeto and numeros 1-20. I enjoy learning new languages. Then at 10:30am we learned about the history of Pelorihno, the settlement of Brazil.
Around 12 we grabbed a bus (onibus) to Pelorihno and Rita and Richard explained the history and colonial architecture of the neightborhood. We went into a really fancy, ancient church that had tiles from Portugal, pre-1800 earthquake. The earthquake in Portgual destroyed a lot of the churches there, and the church we were is one of the few places those beautiful tiles still exist in the whole world. For lunch we ate comida-a-kilo (buffet where you pay by weight). It was cheap and delicious! Under 5R$, my favorite was the sausage.
We met back in Pelorihno around 2pm for a lecture from Tania Tevares (a professora of analytical environmental chemistry at
Beautiful TilesBeautiful TilesBeautiful Tiles

Some of the last remaining tiles of this kind in the world.
UFBA) on how Brazil is contributing to global climate change. Very informative. Then we watched a documentary on what Brazil has to lose from global warming….a lot. Then we went back to Barra Flats and I got in a quick beach run and workout.
It was Jeff’s 21st birthday, so a bunch of us (almost everyone) went out. It was fun. We bought some cachaca and made capirihnas. Drank a bit too much, swam in the ocean around midnight. Came back, showered, and crashed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb