The African Heart of Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
July 27th 2007
Published: November 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Slave MarketThe Slave MarketThe Slave Market

Slaves were brought from Africa to the port of Salvador and sold to landowners.
Desperate for some sunshine after 5 successive days of rain in Rio, we headed northwards to the soul of African Brazil, Salvador de Bahia.

Located on the north-eastern coast of Brazil, Salvadors unique culture is famous for it´s music - drum beats can be heard all over the city all hours of the day and night, religion - a blend of Catholicism and Nigerian´s Candomble beliefs and most importantly, Capoiera the fabulously physical blend of dance and martial art. The culture stems from the 80% population with African origins, descended from the slaves brought in by the Portugese to work in the sugar cane fields in the 1500´s.

The streets here are incredibly lively and full of people... most of which unfortunately want to sell you something or, worse still, they want something for nothing. Regardless of this we met many lovely people, ate some fabulous food and enjoyed some of the famous beaches of the area - even moreso getting the opportunity to watch the locals practising their amazing Capoiera in speedos!

The other big bonus about Salvador was the breakfast at our Hostel - each morning fresh fruit and juice and at least 3 different types
Salvador Salvador Salvador

View of the City surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean
of cake - these Brazilians sure know how to eat well!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Capoiera on the BeachCapoiera on the Beach
Capoiera on the Beach

This guy had the most unbelievable moves imaginable. Amazing to see in action.


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb