The Jungle - Day 6 - The human eating piranha


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas
February 15th 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last day in the jungle. We did not do a great deal as we only had the morning to explore more of the area. Considering the amount of time we spent on the boat the previous day and that our bottoms were still aching from all that time sitting on the hard wooden boards, we wanted to go for a walk in the rainforest. We went with the man from the house, where we were staying at, as he knew the area better and he led the way. Unfortunately, he spoke no English, we spoke no Portuguese. Leo spent most of the time chatting with him and teaching him English. Ehrm... we begged to disapprove of that, as after all, it was us paying him to show us and teach us things about the jungle. We were not paying for Leo to teach that guy English.

I wanted to climb a tree using a liana, but Leo had misunderstood me. He found a tree and they cut part of the bark, which they tied to my feet and showed me how to grip onto the tree so that I can climb up the tree. I had no strength. I was hardly eating these days and all the food was being directly drained out through my system. I was not in a good mood, either. A recipe for disaster. They later found a tree with a liana, but that seemed even tougher to do... so I just gave up.

On our way to the house, we went to collect fish for lunch, as we had requested grilled fish for lunch and NO MORE BLOODY CHICKEN! (I refused to look at chicken for a month after that!)

We saw human eating piranhas for the first time ever. And we ate them afterwards! We were not impressed when the guide picked up one the fish and fed it to the piranha. Vic asked him to stop it right away! We also saw that the piranhas had bitten the other fish while they were strangled in the fishnet. Not only that, but they were even eating each other after they had been caught and they were in the boat. One of the piranhas flapped and moved itself about and bit the other fish including the other piranha! That was surprising in a way.

We were glad we were leaving the jungle. It was good to be back in town and civilisation at long last! Don't get us wrong, we were happy that we spent the six days there, but would not extend it any further. Enjoying a hot running water was such a pleasure and being able to wash ourselves in properly and in private was a bliss!

Antonio invited us again for dinner. Luckily no chicken! ;-) It was grilled meat and yummy sausages as well as various side orders including mashed potatoes, so I could avoid the same rice, the pasta, the eggs and the salad that we were served for 6 days in a row! On the top of the nice food, there were some nice people that we spoke to. I was talking to a couple of German guys... No idea why, I spoke more with the less good-looking one, when I was more interested in the other... It's aways the way with me! No idea why! May be I should have thought more about this whist on this trip... It's a reoccurring thing as you'll notice...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

All the fish we collected from the fishnetAll the fish we collected from the fishnet
All the fish we collected from the fishnet

The piranhas were eating the other fish and even each other!


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb