A hot humid city


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 4th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -34.5761, -58.4088

After a night on board the BA flight from London to Buenos Aires, it was good to get to the hotel. We took a taxi from the airport as it is about an hour into the city. Initially the outskirts reminded us of Bangkok or Cairo. There are new buildings interspersed with old chaotic ones. As with any city though it has its rich and poor areas. After checking into the hotel, which is full of very helpful staff, we walked around the city. The main art gallery was closed on Mondays so we went to the Cemetery to walk around the city of the dead. Sounds gruesome but this is worth a visit. Eva Peron is buried here and is the only mausoleum covered in flowers. I like the ones with angels on top. Only the rich and famous get buried here and it is in the middle of the city so easy to walk to.It is a large city and would take a few days to see properly. We walked for miles- flat comfy shoes are essential as the pavements can be uneven. After se.veral bar stops we eventually went back to the hotel by black and yellow radio cab. There are loads of these and they are metered and not pricey. For dinner in the evening we tried Gran Bar Danzon on 1161 Recoleta. The address is important as the entrance is an obscure doorway easily missed and steps leading up to a darkish bar with good ambience and music and best of all a happy hour! The food was good and the service very friendly. The Argentinians seem to be a laid back sort of people and most speak English which is useful as our Spanish is a bit waek to say the least.
The following day the Modern art gallery was closed but the Belle Art was open and this has a marvellous collection from 14th century Italian up to 19th century modern with examples of everything between so something for everyone . It is in the Palermo area which is the well off residential part full of apartments. They love their dogs but hire walkers to take out about a dozen dogs at a time. We saw several walkers with their charges sitting chatting under the trees, while the dogs panted in the shade- it is hot and humid here in January. Another feature of interest is the huge flower sculpture. This structure opens its petals in the morning and closes at night. We were there at midday so didnt see it closed. In the park areas there is a Japanese Garden for 5 peso entry, but really not worth it at this time of year as no flowers and not that interesting.
It was then time for us to board our cruise ship the Silver Cloud. If you visit this city remember to coat yourself in anti mozzie spray. I ended up being covered in bites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb