Another lucky day?


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The wish to travel on all forms of transport possible has left us the train... and we managed to get some tickets at the last minute from Bariloche to Viedma. Well, it was an experience I shall not forget!
We travelled in the cheapest class - those being the only tickets available, but it was incredible, from the point of beaurocracy, people and their reactions and also again meeting interesting people! I have already written an account which lasts pages - accounts of how their booking system is rigid but unable to cope with people seemingly just getting on the train without anyone checking that you have a ticket. Then a doubling of ticket inspectors on the train who are accompanied by armed guards who sort out the ensuing chaos without a raised voice. The heat in a carriage of 103 people with windows that fail to open and several fans fail to work, not to mention that the smokers smoke wherever there is a falure to put a sign up to prevent it! The overflowing passengers slept in all sorts of places - including the sinks..yes, the sinks!
In amongst all of this there were people trying to adapt the system to their wishes and the patience of others in sorting it out - I am so imprssed by people's calmness here. My German travelling companion admitted that if it were a German train there would be very angry raised voices and little calm!
The journey lasted from 17.00 to 11.00 the next day, we took dinner at 11pm so that our journey would have a suitable break from the seats, the beer washed away some of the dust and I learnt that some people cycle thousands of miles for enjoyment!??? Mad!
After that we tried to fid the non-existant camping ground in Viedma - always a bit of a let down that! And the last two days have been spent at the seaside before our last journey to Buenos Aires. So from the floor of the bus station in Viedma where there is an electrical source and wifi, this might be a last post befor the pictures. I have a hat and Eva's grave to find in BA! Hasta luegu.

Advertisement



25th February 2011

Intrigued at the Mortimer connection in SA!!! Knew he was good on horseback it must have been an efficient swimmer! Looking forward to hearing first hand of your adventures. Take care, Fran
25th February 2011

safe journey
Have enjoyed your blog. What a marvellous bag of adventures. Got the post card - thanks!! I remembered about you wearing a cape in Capetown and eating pizza in Pisa so wondered what you decided to do in Cape Horn - the mind boggles............ Hope you will come over to Leicester very soon when you are home. Oh yes - there are revolutions going on all over the place!!
25th February 2011

Mortimer
I just hope your sene of humour stands up to the rather crumpled present I shall be bring....
25th February 2011

Revolutions
Well no one can blame me then LOL!!!

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb