Patagonia - Mountains, Lakes & Glaciers


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Patagonia - Mountains, Lakes & Glaciers

Starting at the green pin at Ushuaia in the South, through Puerto Natales (Chile), El Calafate, El Chalten, Bariloche, then through the Andes by bus & boat into Chile to the red pin. Around 2000 miles mainly on tarmac, but quite a bit on dust roads

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The glacier calving 47 secs
2: Oh what a view 29 secs
Thanks for all your messages on the blog – we enjoy reading them - keep them coming ;-)

Most of this section of our trip has been in one area, albeit in 3 different locations - Torres Del Paine in Chile, then El Calafate & El Chalten in Argentina. These 3 locations are all in Patagonia and effectively in one huge national park filled with mountains lakes and glaciers. The shorter and last part of this blog covers our time in Bariloche, on the edge of Argentinean Patagonia and our journey back into Chile.

From Ushuaia where we left off on the last blog, a 5.00am start and a 16 hour bus journey took us to Puerto Natales in Chile. An interesting journey including having a long wait at the Chilean border and being forced to dump all our foodstuffs due to strict immigration controls. After Argentina Chile was refreshing in many ways – the people have been softer, friendlier and more down to earth, or at least compared to the refined gregarious Portenos in Buenos Aires.

After a couple of rest, laundry, & planning days in Puerto Natales - known as Gortex City – we spent three days trekking in Torres del Paine where we had our first sight of the white Patagonian mountains, green lakes and blue glaciers. The first night we stayed in a high up mountain refuge where by complete chance we bumped into three people from our Antarctic trip (see photo to the left).

The next morning we rose out of our dormitory bunks at 3.00am for a 2.5 hour torch-lit hike up to the ‘Torres’ (Towers) in the hope of seeing them turn red at sunrise. The early morning trek up and down the mountain was mystical, not knowing what you were passing (pumas included) and as you got closer to the top seeing the procession of 50 or more torches before and after you. Unfortunately, the summit was cloudy, windy and damp, although you could just see the towers (see picture - The Torres on a Cold Dawn). Above all it was really cold, so not somewhere you wanted to hang around too long!

The highlights of our three day Torres Del Paine adventure were probably during the third day when we saw a puma – only for a minute or so, but quite a rare sight, although we don’t have a photo to prove it! Also later that day we took a short walk to get a view of the Cuernos - ‘horns’ (see photo above), the other major mountain range in the park. The textured landscape was so picturesque and green, with the mountains and lake in the background – again words were inadequate to describe it.

From Torres Del Paine we headed 300km north-east back into Argentina to El Calafate – the gateway town for the Perito Moreno Glacier, which we visited twice. The 30km long, 5km wide and 60m high glacier, creeps forward two metres a day, with ice from its origin taking over 300 years to reach its snout and fall into the lake.

On our first visit we spent almost five hours simply watching the Aquafresh blue & white peaky glacier from the balconies on the opposite side of its main face. (see picture below) Glacier watching is quite a relaxing and multi-sensory pastime. The glacier makes tremendously loud cracking noises as the sun hits it. This is then often followed by an even louder thundering noise as part of it collapses internally, out of sight inside its mass of ice. Or better still, externally - known as ‘calving’ – sending up a giant cloud of white powdered snow and creating a mini tsunami as well as pushing clear blue icebergs into the lake – and if you’re lucky enough all of this right in front of where you’re standing (see video above).

Our second visit to the glacier was for ‘ice trekking’. First we had to take a boat across the lake right in front of the glacier’s face. Then after a short walk through a forest, we donned crampons and in single file followed a guide across the frozen blue peaks of the glacier. It was amazing to see the variety of colours – white, blue, green – and numerous rivulets of water running across the surface of the glacier. This water frequently disappeared down holes of translucent blue ice with lagoons at their bottom. After trekking for just over an hour we were then served ‘whisky on the rocks’ – with local 300 year old ice of course! (see picture below). Both of us felt that the Perito Moreno Glacier was magical and one of ‘our’ natural wonders of the world.

From El Calafate we took a short 200km bus journey north to El Chalten for four days of trekking. El Chalten is a new mountain resort; its first houses were built in 1985 when Argentina made a land grab before Chile claimed it. High up from the surrounding mountains it actually looks like a toy town (see picture - Toy Town). We were really lucky with the weather here, having fabulously clear views every day and often 360 degrees, of both the two main peaks (Fitzroy and the ‘toothy’ Cerro Torre) surrounded by lakes & glaciers.

From El Chalten we travelled 800km up the infamous Route 40 to Bariloche - two days of bus riding and window gazing! Actually the time passed quite quickly helped by a short excursion at the end of the first day to La Cueva de Las Manos (The Cave of the Hands). At one point we were worried that the cave visit might not happen as the 40-seater bus full of our fellow passengers (none of whom had joined up for our short excursion) dropped us off at a very small place called Baja Caracoles. Bruce Chatwin in his book ‘In Patagonia’ describes Baja Caracoles as ‘a crossroads of insignificant importance with roads leading all directions apparently to nowhere’ as our picture aptly demonstrates. There was no-one around except a friendly woman who ran a little shop and could provide lodgings for the night at her ‘flophouse’ - £4 for the privilege! Fortunately we were denied that experience, as the minibus eventually turned up and within the hour we were being enthralled by the paintings - some from 7370 BC and a sunset trek through a canyon.

Our fourth and final stop, still in Patagonia, was Bariloche, the Argentinean capital of chocolate (very fitting for Valentine’s Day when we were there!) The city is located in the heart of the Lake District and is a major ski resort in winter (i.e. June/July). The influence of the Swiss immigrants is quite evident, not only in the style of the wooden ‘chalets’ but also in the cuisine, with restaurant after restaurant offering fondue and other Swiss delicacies.

We rented an apartment for four nights with great views over the lake from both the bedroom and sitting room. Once again we were fortunate in having fabulous weather. One day we cycled the ‘Circuito Chico’ taking in even more views of glorious clear blue lakes, green islands, lush forest and foothills (see picture below). Another day we trekked around a clear azure lake with Marianne swimming in the icy waters on both days.

In our final Patagonian journey from Argentina to Chile we completed our first real trip across and through the Andes. This took over 10 hours, consisting of three boat rides and four bus trips. We weaved our way through clear green mountain lakes, past glaciers and volcanoes while negotiating rocky roads in forested national parks, strewn with gushing waterfalls and frothy rivers. It was a great experience although mildly spoilt by the weather in the afternoon which turned to mizzly rain and marred our views. However a wonderful lunch including a good bottle of Chilean wine helped make amends to a certain degree.

Eventually we arrived in Puerto Varas at 9pm, a beautiful lakeside town in Chile where we will start our next blog ….



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



24th February 2011

it looks amazing, but have to say I am enjoying the caribbean weather! I hate to be cold! Keep enjoying your big adventure! Love, S & P xx
24th February 2011

Another perfect holiday
Steve and Marianne, Your onward journey after Antartica seems to have carried on perfectly with stunning scenery. El Chalten looks fantastic, glad the weather worked out so well. Your photos are fabulous, well done. Great blog, thanks for forwarding the link. Nancy & Chad
24th February 2011

great pics!
Love reading your blogs. The pictures from this last one were magnificent. I'd love to have seen that amazing glacier. It's sheer scale was something else. You must be having a fabulous time! Looking forward to the next installment. love Diana
24th February 2011

Hi Marianne + Steve Looks like you are having a ball. lovely to keep up with your trip + hope you are enjoying it as much as it sounds. Computer still safe + sound Marianne! Much love Katie
24th February 2011

Very jealous
Despite being a technophobe I've managed (with a great deal of difficulty) to read your latest blog. It seems so easy for everyone else!!! It all sounds so wonderful. I love glaciers and remember one of my best days in NZ lying on a rock listening to them thunder. I'm so envious but I do have a weekend in Paris to look forward to. No mention of my ancestors on your travels - you missed out there! Continue to enjoy and stay safe. Love you loads xxxx
1st March 2011

Fabulous!
You are so lucky to see so much scenery primitive, untouched and undestroyed by humans. You have completely returned to nature. The handprints in the graffiti look horrible though. Marianne even swam in the icy water. Envy you. So well-built and so brave. Just enjoy yourselves, Steve and Marianne. Thank you for your blog so that we can also experience the wonderful journey with you at home. With love Eva
1st March 2011

Patagonia
Looks incredible. Not quite sure I can see the calving on the glacier but can certainly hear it. Keep them coming.
2nd March 2011

Hey there it all looks fab what amazing views...all appealing to my love of Geography! Car going well. It passed its MOT with a bit of welding back together and a new tyre. Its a bit damp inside so am trying the jar of rice trick! We did lots of driving over half term which was great. Off to see Oliver's house concert on fri and Emily's netball match on sat and mother-in-law in hosp on sun and Charlie on french trip. OSMA meet up thurs will think of you! Keep the news coming XXX
3rd March 2011

Too envious to speak!
What an absolutely brilliant trip you're having. The scenery is stunning. Meanwhile, here under grey, drizzly skies in the Uk . . . .
4th March 2011

Wow...looks great. However, I'm amazed you swapped this experience from being at Wembley last week when your Blues won their first silverware in something like 150 years. Now where are your priorities young man...that's apart from the lack of hashing opportunities in Patagonia. Seriously, we loved Argentina, BraziL and Uruguay and aspire to get further south next time so keep the blog coming.....
5th March 2011

Hi from an Armchair Traveller!
Have just returned from Vietnam - hot in the south, not like your pics of mountains and glaciers! I love the bluey hue of the glacier and hearing and seeing the calving must be mesmerising. You have certainly covered huge distances with long coach rides so I hope that you are both well and in good health. Great to be able to see where you are going. Love from Chris, Caroline and Michael. xxx
9th March 2011

Jealous - just a bit
So we get near another quarter end...remember those Steve?....no I thought they may have slipped you mind :o) Who can blame you, looks like you are having the best time - keep the blog going - very interesting etc etc. all the best mate, Don

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb